Where will I complete the tests?
If the test forms part of an assessment centre, it is likely that you will sit it at the employer’s premises under formal test conditions.
If it is part of a preliminary assessment, you may be asked to go to a designated test centre or you may have to complete it online using your own equipment. If the latter is the case, make sure you:
1. have the appropriate technology needed, i.e. a reliable internet connection, a suitably updated operating system, etc.
2. can sit the test in a quiet location where you won’t be interrupted
3. enable your ‘do not disturb’ (or similar) function to ensure that you don’t get interrupted by calls, notifications etc.
4. charge your device fully.
If you do sit the test online, you may be asked to do another short test as part of the interview process, so the employer can be sure you didn’t get someone else to do it for you!
How can I perform better on the day?
- If you are unsure of the correct answer, move on and come back to it if you have time at the end. The time you waste stuck on a single question might have been used to easily answer several more. If the test doesn’t allow you to skip a question, make an educated guess.
- Keep an eye on the time limit – there may be a clock somewhere on the screen or take a watch. Knowing roughly how long you have for each section will help you to pace yourself.
- Make sure you are using the right box for your answer. With multiple options, it can be easy to click on or mark the wrong one, so don’t lose concentration.
- Be well rested and alert when you take the test!