- What type of product are you building?
- Can any existing products help? Look at other tools doing what you want to do and see if they have an API (application programming interface) you can use to help you build your software.
- Think of building interactive or chat facilities? You'll need to think about moderation, how to deal with inappropriate content and any legal implications.
- What is your Minimum Viable Product? You'll need to determine this, launch and then learn from your users.
- Do you have a USP? Is there a reason no one else has done it yet?
- Have you done a SWOT analysis?
- Make sure you start researching and tracking competitors.
- If you're making a web-based app then you'll need to think about hosting. One of the main questions is: will cloud hosting benefit your business? Here are some articles to get you thinking:
- If your making a native app then you'll need to know the process of app approval between Google Play and Apple App Store. Here are some general tips and tricks.
- Consider and plan for your operating costs (hosting, etc). Here are some estimates and advice:
- Will you need some money to develop your skills? Learning to programme for example.
- Will your product generate income? If so how might you do this? Pay-for 'pro' accounts, advertising, charging for the product itself and in-app purchases are all possible ways to make money from your business. Here are some articles with more advice on generating money from mobile apps:
It is very important that you identify and understand your customer
- Research customer requirements – don’t assume
- Research tech habits of your user base. Some reports which will help you start building a picture:
- Make sure you build measures to gauge take-up and usability issues.