Welcome to the LSE
We are delighted that you have chosen to study with us. One of the first things we ask you to do when you arrive is to register on your degree programme. You will need to do so in person at the PhD Academy (LRB 4.03).
The Welcome Talk for new PhD students will take place on Wednesday 25 September in PAN G.01, between 2 - 3pm, followed by a drinks reception in the PhD Academy, LRB 4.02.
Please read the following carefully. Dates will be confirmed before registration begins.
In order to become an official student of the LSE, you need to register in person. During registration we check your eligibility to study and issue you with your LSE ID card. You don't need to choose individual courses (modules) at registration.
Before coming to registration please make sure that you have:
- Submitted all of your required admissions documents and completed your Financial Undertaking Form. You can do so via your LSEforYou account. The Graduate Admissions Team will be available to process last minute documents on the day but this is likely to delay your registration.
- Collated all of the documents you will need (see below).
- Your original offer letter.
- Any outstanding documents required by Graduate Admissions. Please note that if you have any outstanding documents/evidence you will need to see the Graduate Admissions office before coming to the PhD Academy to register.
When you register we are legally required to check your eligibility to study in the UK. We do this by checking various documents.
The documents required vary depending on your nationality and visa (if applicable). If you do not bring the appropriate identification documents we will not be able to register you on your programme.
In accordance with UK Home Office requirements, the School is required to make a copy of ALL students’ passports or national identity cards at registration.
- Your Passport or National ID Card UK or EEA nationality, such as your passport or national identity card.
- A driving licence does not verify nationality and is therefore not sufficient for registration purposes.
- UK citizens who do not hold a passport can register with alternative documents but this will take significantly longer. If you are registering without a passport, please note we require the same combination of documents as required for a DBS application.
- Evidence that you are in the process of applying for an LSE Tier 4 Visa (usually the application coversheet).
- A copy of your current visa and passport.
- If you are registering with an application in process you should be aware that registration is likely to take significantly longer.
See further information about visas and immigration.
If you have any questions or concerns about the registration process please contact us as soon as possible on 020 7955 6607 or via this enquiry form.
Registration will be held between 10:30 - 15:30 in the PhD Academy (LRB4.03) as follows:
- Accounting, VRS Anthropology, Economic History, and VRS Economics, on Wednesday 18 September 2019
- European Institute, VRS Finance, Gender Institute and Geography and Environment on Thursday 19 September 2019
- VRS International Development, Health Policy, International History and International Relations on Friday 20 September 2019
- Law, VRS Management, Mathematics and Media & Communications on Monday 23 September 2019
- Methodology, Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method and Psychological and Behavioural Sciences on Tuesday 24 September 2019
- Social Policy, Sociology, and Statistics on Wednesday 25 September 2019
MRes students will need to check with the Student Services Centre for registration dates for their programme.
If you are unable to attend the allocated day for your department you can register on another day. If you are unable to register by Friday 12 October 2018 please contact the PhD Academy for advice. All students must be registered by Friday 19 October 2018.