FAQs for Incoming Students

LSE is one of the world's most international universities, with over 60 per cent of all our students originating from countries outside the UK.


How to apply

1. Check if your university has an agreement with LSE for your subject and level.

Your home university department must have a formal agreement with a department at LSE.For a list of university agreements, please see the information for incoming students page.

Arrangements are dealt with at departmental level only. If no agreement exists, it is not possible to participate in the Erasmus programme.

2. Contact your Erasmus Coordinator in your home university

Before applying to the LSE you must check your own institutions Erasmus eligibility procedures.

3. Complete the LSE Erasmus application form
Once your home institution has approved your participation, download and complete LSE's Erasmus Application Form and email it to Erasmus@lse.ac.uk.

Undergraduate students will need to apply via the Erasmus Coordinator at Sciences Po.

Meeting the conditions of your offer

What are the English Language requirements? 

Erasmus students at LSE will normally be expected to have attained an adequate level of proficiency in English, equivalent to a score of 6.5-7.0 in the British Council IELTS.

When will I receive a decision?

Upon receipt of your application form, LSE will process your application and contact you with a decision within one month. It is important that you receive this decision before committing to attend the School.

Applications are decided at departmental level.  However, you must still complete the requirements to hold an unconditional offer of study before you are able to register.

Study and Assessment

What courses will I study at LSE?

Please make sure you discuss your programme of studies with the Erasmus project coordinator at your home university before you arrive at the School. For information on courses see the Undergraduate Course Guides and Postgraduate Course Guides.

For undergraduate students:
Undergraduate Erasmus students from Sciences Po are registered on the General Course.

You will be able to get advice from your tutor on your final choice of courses (for which you should also seek approval from your home university). Certain combinations of courses may not be possible because of timetable difficulties.

For postgraduate students:
Most Masters level exchanges at the LSE are a component part of your degree programme at your home institution e.g. Masters in Management/CEMS or Erasmus Mundus.  

How long will I spend at LSE?

Students can spend between 3 months and one academic year at LSE depending on the agreement with your home university. For more information, you should contact the Erasmus Coordinator at your home institution.

How will I be assessed?

LSE students are assessed mainly on their performance in formal end-of-year examinations. An Erasmus student who attends for the entire academic year would normally take this examination, unless the home university decides otherwise. For those who do not take the examination (including those who attend for only part of the year), all we can provide is a report on the student's participation in classes, and any marks awarded for coursework.

LSE does not arrange special examinations for Erasmus students. At the end of your period of study, LSE will prepare a certificate setting out the courses taken and any assessments available. For further information, please contact the Student Services Centre

Will I have access to the LSE Library?

The School's Library (also known as the British Library of Political and Economic Science) is the world's largest library devoted exclusively to the social sciences. Erasmus students are entitled to full membership of the LSE Library and will be issued with a student card at registration.

Further information about the Library, including the online catalogue, can be found on the Library's website.

What IT facilities are available at LSE?

All Erasmus students will be given access to LSE's high-speed computer network. Once you are a registered student with your own username, password, and email address.  

There are over 1000 high-quality PCs in open access computer areas on the LSE campus and in small computer rooms in each of the students' residential halls. There is one computer room that will be open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week during term-time.

Housing and Pastoral Care

Is accommodation available for Erasmus students?

Unfortunately, we can only guarantee accommodation to undergraduate Erasmus students. LSE is unable to provide a place in LSE student accommodation for students studying in London for periods shorter than a one academic year (October until July).

Students studying for less than one academic year will need to find their own accommodation. A minimum of 2 weeks should be given to finding accommodation; students who do not have a place for the Michaelmas term are strongly advised to arrive mid-September to seek information and advice on finding somewhere to live. It may be possible to find a temporary base for that time in one of the LSE halls (booking forms are available from the  Accommodation Office), while permanent accommodation is sought. For the same reason, students coming to the School for the Lent term should come as soon as possible after Christmas, but please note that the School will be closed until after the New Year holiday.

LSE Residential Services offers some good advice on finding private housing in London, while LSE Studentpad is our online private housing database. Registration is free, and you can search for suitable properties and contact landlords directly.

ZooplaRightmovespareroom.co.uk, and RoomBuddies are also great places to start looking for private housing.

Residential Services can be contacted below:

Residential Services Office 

3.02 Saw Swee Hock Student Centre
Houghton Street
London WC2A 2AE
Tel: +44 (0)20 7955 7531

Private housing queries: private.housing@lse.ac.uk

Opening hours
Monday to Friday - 9am to 5pm (Halls of Residence and Private Housing enquiries)

Will I have a personal tutor?

You will have a tutor to act as your personal academic advisor for the period of your stay. Your tutor will advise on your choice of courses, and will receive reports on your progress. Your tutor will also be available to advise on academic or personal problems, and can help you locate the relevant professional service at the School.

How much will it cost to live in London?

As how much you spend is ultimately an individual decision, the following figures are intended only as a guide. London can be as expensive as your personal tastes dictate - some students are able to live on less, some need more. Please note that these figures are intended as a guideline only and are close to the minimum you are likely to spend. Your cost of living will inevitably vary according to individual circumstances.

Cost  (£ per month)

Total Estimated Amount



Food & household expenses




Books, stationery & photocopying




Total per month


Immigration Queries

Erasmus at the LSE is managed by the International Student Visa Advice Team. We will be able to advise you on your immigration options if you require a visa to study in the UK.


How international is LSE?

LSE is one of the world's most international universities, with over 60 per cent of all our students originating from countries outside the UK, and over 150 different countries represented in the student body. It is a truly cosmopolitan environment.

Where should I register upon arrival?

Registration means that you become a member of the School and entitles you to full use of School facilities.

Information about the Registration process in September can be found on our New Arrivals website. If you are starting your exchange during the Lent Term or at any other time of the academic year, you should go to the Student Services Centre (SSC) in the Old Building to register. The Centre is open Monday to Friday from 11:00 to 16:00.

Visiting Erasmus students who are in the second, third or fourth year of a normal first degree at their home institution will be registered as undergraduate students.

Visiting Erasmus students who are studying for a postgraduate degree at their home university will be registered as taught master's students.

Visiting Erasmus students who are studying for a doctoral degree will be registered as research students.

Key sources of information for your studies at LSE are located in:

Who can I contact for further information?

You can contact the team by completing our query form.



Student Services Centre



LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

RT @lseitnews: Maintenance weekend begins at 9:00pm tomorrow. All LSE IT services will be at risk of prolonged outages, including campus wi…

13 hours ago

Reply Retweet Favorite

LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

@__ahimsa Not over Twitter, I'm afraid! Transcripts are usually produced within 5 working days, though.

15 hours ago

Reply Retweet Favorite

Contact us


Telephone +44 (0) 20 7849 4994


Email erasmus@lse.ac.uk

Address View on Google maps

The Erasmus Coordinator, Student Services Centre, (Ground Floor) Old Building, Houghton Street, London, WC2A 2AE