I'm charged council tax

what you can do

The process for paying Council Tax and applying for exemption or discount varies depending on your council. Contact them directly with questions.

Council Tax is a system of local taxation collected on domestic property (i.e. your home) by local authorities (councils). Some properties will be exempt, depending on the circumstances of the people who live there.

Do I have to pay?

Full-time students are typically entitled to some form of exemption or discount, but this depends on your individual circumstances. 

If you arrive in London before you are registered, or if you stay beyond the end date of your course, you may need to pay tax for that period.  The end date of your course is not the date of your graduation ceremony.  Check your Certificate of Registration for your course end date.  You are not eligible for exemption during the period when you are waiting for your results.

You will also need to pay if you interrupt or withdraw your studies, or if you are an unregistered student returning to LSE to re-sit exams. 

Who can give me advice about Council Tax?

Contact your Council directly with any questions in the first instance.

The Students' Union Advice and Support Service may also be able to offer initial advice.  International students should refer to the info below.

What should I do if I receive a Council Tax bill?

The process for paying Council Tax and applying for exemption or discount varies depending on your council. Contact them directly with questions. However, they're all likely to need proof of your student status from us. When and how you request this varies by your status.

New students

You are unable to request a document for Council Tax exemption purposes until after your designated registration date. Prior to registration you may be liable for council tax.   

Current students

You will need to provide proof of your student status to your council. You can do this by collecting a Certificate of Registration from the Student Services Centre. If you are a new student who was required to attend a pre-sessional course before Registration, you may also need to send the council a copy of your offer letter which indicates that an early arrival was a requirement for your degree.  


If you need proof that you were a student in previous academic years, submit an enquiry to request proof of the dates that you were a student.  Please note that if you stay in London beyond the last day of the term in which you are a registered student, you are likely to be liable for council tax. 

The end date on your student ID card is for access to LSE services only and does not indicate the final date that you are a registered student.  

International students

Council Tax regulations,  as they relate to international students, are very complex.  For more details, please read the UKCISA guidance on Council Tax.

Nearby local authorities

The links below will take you to the Student Council Tax pages for local authorities near to LSE

If you do not know which local authority your property is in, search on the Council Tax valuation list by entering your postcode.

If your authority is not listed above perform an internet search for 'student council tax exemption' and include the name of the council.

What if I live in halls?

Students in LSE-owned halls are automatically exempt from paying Council Tax. If you live in intercollegiate or privately owned halls(e.g. Unite, Urbanest) you may need to provide a a Council Tax Letter to your hall management team. Please check with your hall reception.

Where to get advice

The Citizens Advice Bureau offers comprehensive information on the discounts and exemptions available.

You can get a range of housing advice from the LSESU Advice Centre.


LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

If you are in London and do not know your way around campus yet, we have prepared a self-guided campus tour kit for… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…

2 hours ago

Reply Retweet Favorite

LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

Have a question and don't know who to contact? You can speak to our Live Chat Assistants between 9am and 5pm, Monda… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…

2 days ago

Reply Retweet Favorite