To provide governance oversight and assurance to Council on ethical matters affecting the School in order to contribute to the achievement of strategic objectives and to meeting regulatory and legal obligations.
Terms of Reference
1. To identify emerging ethical priorities, issues and risks (both inside the School and in the external environment) to inform Council discussions and facilitate the delivery of LSE2030.
2. To provide governance oversight on behalf of Council of the ethical matters relating to equity, diversity and inclusion across the School, including specifically the ethical aspects of the Access and Participation Plan, in support of the delivery of LSE2030.
3. To ensure appropriate mitigation of ethical risks and the provision of sources of assurance for Audit Committee and Council, including monitoring the School’s response to ethical challenges.
4. To oversee, on behalf of Council, the application of the School’s Ethics Code and associated procedures and arrangements, to monitor their effectiveness and to shape their focus.
5. To act as an advisory group to Council and the School’s management on ethical issues as required.
Committee liaison: To liaise with the Chairs of Audit, Remuneration and Governance Committees in establishing an annual schedule of work to ensure a coherent and responsive programme is in place with clear lines of responsibility.
Makes reports to: Council on its work and the governance of ethical issues at the School (annually).
Receives reports from: Ethics (Grants and Donations) Panel, the Research Ethics Committee (both annually) and other committees which consider ethical matters.
See the Ethics Committee Terms of Reference (PDF) approved by Council in Febraury 2021.