Professor Dilly Fung became LSE Pro-Director for Education in July 2018. In this role she oversees student education across the School. Her aim is to develop an inclusive, outward-looking scholarly community in which every student is inspired by and contributes to LSE’s research-rich intellectual culture. She is also Professor in Practice at the LSE School of Public Policy.
Drawing on her interdisciplinary roots in English, Politics and Philosophy of Education and on her long teaching career, Dilly’s academic work analyses connections between research, learning, student agency, policy (including rewarding educators in higher education) and leadership. In her previous role as Professor of Higher Education Development at UCL, she introduced a new focus on building more imaginative synergies between research and student education, both within and across university departments, which was adopted as institutional strategy.
Dilly’s recent open access monograph, A Connected Curriculum for Higher Education, explores the unity of research and teaching in theory and in practice. Connected Curriculum has become well known nationally and internationally, influencing policy and practice in many countries. She speaks regularly about these themes in the UK and internationally.
To get in touch with Dilly, please contact her Executive Assistant, Marlene Worrell, on M.Worrell@lse.ac.uk or 0207 955 7014.
Selected recent publications
- Fung, Dilly. 2017. A Connected Curriculum for Higher Education. London: UCL Press
- Fung, Dilly, Besters-Dilger, Juliane & van der Vaart, Rob.2017. Excellent education in research-rich universities. Position Paper: League of European Universities (LERU).
- Fung, Dilly. 2016. Strength-based scholarship and ‘good’ education: The Scholarship Circle. Innovations on Education and Teaching International journal. Nov 2016. 54: 101-110
- Fung, Dilly and Claire Gordon. 2016. Rewarding educators and education leadership in research-intensive universities Higher Education Academy: York.
- Carnell, Brent and Fung, Dilly (eds.) 2017. Developing the Higher Education Curriculum: Research-based Education in Practice. London: UCL Press
- Floyd, Alan and Dilly Fung. 2015. Focusing the kaleidoscope: Exploring distributed leadership in an English university. Studies in Higher Education.
A Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, Dilly Fung has engaged in a number of external initiatives and networks. She has been an external advisor on national and institutional projects, has acted as External Examiner for research-intensive universities in the UK and the Republic of Ireland, and is an active reviewer for a number of higher education-focused academic journals.
Recent external roles include:
- UK Teaching Excellence Framework Assessor (2017, 2018)
- Vice President of the international Ecoles Universitaires de Recherche (EUR) Panel for the French Government’s Agence Nationale de la Recherche (2017)
- British Academy Board Member: Research-Teaching Nexus project (2017, 2018)
- External Chair, Professorial Track Awards Panel, Utrecht University (2016, 2017)