The duty requires all public bodies to proactively take steps to:
- eliminate discrimination, victimisation and harassment
- advance equality of opportunity between groups of people of diverse backgrounds and with diverse needs
- foster and promote good relations between such groups of people.
The equality duty is supported by three specific duties:
- to publish information to demonstrate compliance with the equality duty, at least annually
- to set and publish one or more specific and measurable equality objective, at least every four years
- to publish equality information and equality objectives in a manner that is accessible to the public.
Origins of the EDI Taskforce
The EDI Taskforce resulted from proposals for actions in response to incidents on campus at the start of the 2014–15 academic year final report [PDF].
If you have any queries or feedback, please contact the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion team.