Motion picture licence

If you wish to screen a film in public (for example, as part of an event), you will need to obtain relevant licences; such as a Screening Licence to cover copyright and a Premises Licence/Temporary Event Notice to comply with the Licensing Act 2003.

Screening licences can be obtained from a ‘filmbank’, such as the BFI, Filmbankmedia or MPLC, or direct from the copyright owner if a film (or the production company) is not covered by a filmbank (the School has no flimbank licence for this reason).  Permission is not needed under s34(2) of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, if a film is being shown to students for educational purposes.

Applications must be made to the local council for a Premises Licence or Temporary Event Notices.  Under the Licensing Act 2003, an exemption also exists for screenings of films for the purpose of information, instruction or education. You can find guidance on licensing at Camden Council. You can also contact Kevin Haynes on or Caroline Hong on