Professional services job shadowing is where an individual from one area of the School has the opportunity to work alongside and gain experience of the role of another individual, and gain an insight into that particular work area.
It can also be used to provide an individual within a department the opportunity to work alongside more experienced colleagues so they can learn and develop within their current role.
Within the School, job shadowing can be used as a development opportunity for staff members and should be discussed as part of the Career development review process.
Types of Job Shadowing
The type of job shadowing that is undertaken will depend on the needs of the host and the shadowee and on the amount of time that can be allocated to the shadowing. This should be discussed between the host, the shadowee and their line manager. It can range from:
- The shadowee will spend an agreed period of time observing the day to day work of the host.
- It should be a typical representation of what the host does on a daily basis.
- This type of shadowing works best when a shadowee is looking to gain a greater understanding of what a host’s job role actually consists of.
- The host will provide opportunities for questions and a debrief to ensure that both parties benefit from the shadowing.
- The shadowee shadows the host for specific activities over a period of time.
- This type of shadowing provides short periods of focused activity.
- This works best when the individuals work near to each other and the host can then advise of dates and times of specific activities which are of value to understanding the role.
- Careful timing and planning is required to ensure it does not become disruptive.
- This is an extension of the observation model detailed above.
- The shadowee starts to undertake some of the tasks they have observed.
- This provides the shadowee with hands on experience of the role whilst being supervised by the host.
- This type of job shadowing is not always possible and would need to be discussed on a case by case basis.
How to Apply
Please read our guide to job shadowing before you start the process.
If you would like help in arranging job shadowing please complete the form here and return it to Hr.Learning@lse.ac.uk. Once we have arranged a match for you, someone will be in touch with the details.