Led by the Pro-Director (Faculty Development) and Chief Operating Officer, with the Vice Chair of the Appointments Committee as co-lead, the People strand focuses on making sure our policies and practices support racial equity and cultural change at LSE.
Below are the key actions planned or in progress below, and check the latest updates to see what’s happened so far.
Overview of Our People
- Commissioned Professor Chantal Davies, Professor of Law, Equality and Diversity and Director of Forum for Research into Equality and Diversity, University of Chester to record a webinar demystifying positive action to train staff on creating and using positive action initiatives. Watch the video here.
- Creating spaces to hear the stories and lived realities of minority groups, and build collective understanding among the LSE community (including but not limited to discussions on anti-Black racism)
- Targeting support for managers to engage with issues of race, racism and allyship at LSE
- Conducting race-specific surveys and analysing feedback from staff and students
- Publishing dashboards and annual reports of LSE’s demographics and progress against priorities
- Proactively seeking to ensure recruitment of early career researchers and junior staff contributes to a diverse pool of talent for future progression
- Enabling progression/promotion through access to opportunities, sponsorship and mentorship, recognition and sharing of citizenship work
- Creating an innovation fund to encourage and support new ideas and initiatives
- Targeted recruitment of BAME counsellors and race-specific training for Safe Contacts
- Learning from anonymised studies to improve processes to address racial bullying and harassment.
These pages are being updated as the roll-out of the Framework continues and as actions are refined with the input of our LSE community. Got a question, feedback or want to get involved in the People strand? Share your views via our online form.