For the third year, £10,000 has been awarded to each LSE academic Department, for use to support any form of knowledge exchange with non-academic audiences during 2020/21. All funds must be spent by the end of May 2021.
Potential uses include - but are not limited to - activities supporting public and community engagement or the development of new relationships or partnerships with (for example) schools, local agencies, or the private, cultural and heritage sectors. They could also be used to develop colleagues’ KEI-related skills and capabilities.
The funds are intended to provide flexible, responsive support for departmental KE activities. The sorts of things they were used for in previous years included:
- Events held at LSE for non-academic audiences
- Social media campaigns
- Films or animations based on LSE research
- Design of reports or infographics
- Seed-funding for larger KE activities
- Travel to and/or from LSE to facilitate engagement with non-academics
- Any other activity directly engaging with stakeholders and/or end-users of research
- Matched funding for KE activities that have attracted external support
- KE training events and/or materials to develop skills and capabilities within Departments
Departments are able to allocate the funds at their discretion, but are encouraged to support activities led by colleagues without previous experience of Knowledge Exchange.
Departments are free to allocate funds in whatever way they deem most conducive to supporting engagement with their research. The only stipulation is that the funds had to facilitate engagement with people or organisations beyond academia.
Each Department is required to nominate an academic contact to meet with the KEI Integrated Service to discuss effective KE and public engagement activities and what support for these can be provided centrally. A Professional Services contact also has to be appointed to support the financial management of the funds. Funds can be used by anyone conducting research at the School, including PhD students.
A short report setting out how funds have been spent is required to be sent to email@example.com in June 2021.