Once you have decided to embark on postgraduate study, research into the course which is right for you.
Where to study
Choosing to stay where you have done your undergraduate degree can be a positive choice:
- you will be well placed to make an informed decision about the quality and the relevance of the programmes on offer
- you know the faculty and administrators and how things work
- you have experience of what the associated living costs will be
- you may be able to keep your current accommodation
- there may be finance (or paid work) available
However, you should definitely research other options to make sure you make an informed choice. Criteria to consider include:
- the availability of the type of course you want to do
- what are the entry requirements; is financing available
- what is the reputation of the institution, department and course
- are there suitable and willing supervisors available?
- will you have the opportunity to teach
- what is the research standing of the department
- what are the support services like, e.g. library, IT and careers
- what are your views of the location and wider environment
Where to seek advice
- Careers consultants – make a careers discussion appointment at LSE Careers
- Your supervisor or director of studies
- Personal tutor
- Admissions or course tutor
- Students on the course you are interested in
- People in the job you would like to do
Once you have decided where you want to apply, you need to ensure that you are fully informed about:
- course and funding application deadlines
- any documentation that will be required in support of your application, e.g. undergraduate transcripts, personal statement and/or research proposal and letters of recommendation
- the entry requirements, including academic grades, GRE or GMAT test scores and language test scores
If you are applying in the UK then you will need to start your research no later than the start of the academic year before you plan to commence your postgraduate studies.
If you are applying outside the UK then you need to do this 18 - 24 months in advance.