Loans and Funding

Further information on Government and private loans

U.S. Federal Loans

The U.S. Department of Education operate a Direct Loan programme. Eligible students can borrow educational loans to assist with the cost of living. There are three loan types.

If you are ineligible for U.S. federal loans, you may be able to use a U.S. private student loan to support your studies

  • Subsidized (Undergraduates only)  (Federal)
  • Unsubsidized (Federal)
  • Plus (Federal)
  • Private 

Students are strongly advised to consider the Direct Lending programme prior to any private loan option.

You should borrow unsubsidized loans first, if there is further need based on your cost of attendance you should then look at borrow a Plus loan.

You cannot borrow more than your annual maximum cost of attendance

For further information on Federal Aid please see U.S. Federal Loans, for further information on Private loans please see Private Loans

Please note: Students studying by distance-learning, or at certificate or diploma level are not eligible.

Canadian Loans

We can assist with 

  • Programme information forms such as OSAP
  • Confirmation of enrolment
  • Confirmation of fees paid
  • TL11A certificates

For further information see Canadian Loans

Tuition fee loans for Home/EU Undergraduates

Eligible Home/EU undergraduate students may apply for a tuition fee loan to cover the cost of tuition.

Tuition Fee loans Tuition Fee loans are paid directly to the School, application is made through Student Finance Direct not the LSE. For further information please visit GOV.UK

Postgraduate Loan Scheme (U.K)

The UK government offers a Masters Loan Scheme for full-time postgraduate courses.

An overview of postgraduate loans, details of how to apply and personal eligibility criteria is available on the GOV.UK website 

Private loans (Non government)

For further information regarding additional private loan options, eligibility criteria and to access further details, please see Private Loans






Military and Veterans Benefits

The LSE participate in certifying enrolment if you are a fully enrolled student.

For further information on UK and U.S. benefits please see Military funding