In the context of the workplace, sexual orientation and gender identity are relevant considerations because all members of staff should be free to be themselves, to have welcoming colleagues, and to have a campus, policies and services that include them and that they can fairly access.
Preparing your Equality Impact Assessment
Your policy should clearly state how it is inclusive of LGBT+ people. If you’re preparing an Equality Impact Assessment following EDI’s guidance, also read through Spectrum's general advice below in advance. We welcome brief consultations either at our monthly meetings or by email. Get in touch with email@example.com.
Understanding minority groups
LSE's responsibility is to provide a campus and services that everyone can access fairly, however this does not mean that minority groups (those protected characteristics listed in the 2010 Equality Act) are not inherently disadvantaged and suffering. LGBT+ stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and all other sexual orientation or gender identity minority groups e.g. intersex, asexual, pansexual, non-binary. The key message is that any individual's identity is valid and should be respected.
- Do explicitly state if a benefit is relevant to LGBT+ people or same-sex partners, so that it is completely clear to the person reading the policy.
- Language changes over time. The Equality Act uses the term 'gender reassignment'; however, we use 'gender identity'.
- Do use the terms 'sexual orientation' and 'gender identity' rather than sex/sexuality/gender.
- Do use gender neutral language, e.g. 'they/theirs/them' not 'he/she'.
- Do use 'spouse' or 'partner' rather than ‘husband/wife’.
- Do refer to shared parental leave rather and adoption leave alongside maternity and paternity leave.
- Refer to caring responsibilities as well as childcare responsibilities.
- Using gender neutral toilets is not an accessibility issue, so if this facility is relevant to your policy do not solely link it to accessibility or disability services.
- If you use monitoring questions, use the standard set provided by EDI.
- See our Resources section.