Degree Certificates

Your degree certificate shows your full name, level, programme and classification


At the end of your degree you will be issued with a Degree Certificate which is official, formal, confirmation of your award. Degree certificates are sometimes known as diplomas. 

Update 19 September 2021

Due to COVID-19, Certificates will be posted approximately ten working weeks after awards are confirmed at the Board of Examiners. 

Certificates for students whose results were released in July 2021 are currently in dispatch; we anticipate that they will be posted in the week commencing 20 September 2021.

We are not able to provide indivdual updates, address checks or tracking information, so we ask that you only contact us if you have not received your certificate by early October 2021.   

It is not currently possible to collect your degree certificate in person, and we cannot issue electronic certificates.

Obtaining your degree certificate

There are three ways in which you can obtain your degree certificate

1 - Collect your certificate during graduation

Taught students can collect their degree certificate during graduation.

In line with the traditions of LSE your certificate will not be given to you during the ceremony itself, you need to collect it separately. You do not need your certificate for the ceremony.

You can collect your certificate during degree certificate collection opening times, it does not need to be the same day as your ceremony. Opening times will be confirmed in due course. If you are collecting your certificate on the same day as your ceremony, we would recommend that you do so after your ceremony to avoid it getting damaged in the theatre.

When you collect your certificate you will need to show us your LSE Card and tell us the title of your programme. If you do not have your LSE card please bring a national ID card, passport or driving licence instead.

PhD students should collect their certificates from the PhD Academy.

Third party collection is not available at LSE. During the ceremonies you must collect your certificate yourself. It is not possible for other people to collect certificates on your behalf.

2 - Have your certificate sent by secure courier

Due to COVID-19, Certificates will be posted ten working weeks after awards are confirmed at the Board of Examiners.

Your certificate will be sent to the permanent home address listed within LSE for You using DHL's secure courier service. It will need to be signed for on receipt. 

Please check that your permanent home address, email address and phone number are all up to date in LSE for You by 18 July 2021, this is to make sure that DHL can arrange delivery.

If you are unsure about your address in the new year, please enter an alternative address where you can safely receive your certificate.

The vast majority of certificates safely reach their destination no matter where in the world they are being sent to. However, if you have not received your certificate within eight weeks of your ceremony please submit an enquiry

3 - Certificate collection

Please check back for information regarding certificate collection.

Frequently Asked Questions 

Here we provide answers to some commonly asked questions. If you have a question that is not answered here please let us know!

Can somebody else collect my certificate for me?

Third party degree certificate collection is not available at LSE.

During the ceremonies we are not able to release certificates to third parties, you must collect it yourself. 

If you cannot make your ceremony then your certificate will be sent by secure courier (see option 2 above). The vast majority of certificates arrive at their destination safely and in good time.

Do I need to take my certificate to my graduation ceremony?

No, you do not need your certificate for the ceremony and cannot take it on stage with you.

If possible, we recommend that you collect your certificate after the ceremony to avoid it getting lost of damaged. 

Can I get my certificate framed?

Tempest Photography offers a degree certificate framing service during the graduation ceremonies. They also offer an LSE degree certificate folder for those who are travelling abroad.

Please visit Ceremony Photography for information about locations and opening times.  

Can LSE provide me with a certified copy of my certificate?

To avoid fraud LSE does not issue copies of degree certificates. Instead you should request a transcript or confirmation of award letter.

If you need your award verifying please use the Higher Education Degree Data Check service.

If you need your physical certificate notarised, legalised or seen by an apostille you should contact either a solicitor, notary, apostille or your embassy as appropriate. LSE is not allowed to provide these services. 

Can LSE provide me with a digital copy of my certificate?

LSE does not issue digital copies of degree certificates.

If you never received your certificate or need a replacement 

Advice on how to obtain your certificate if it never arrived or has been lost or damaged.

Never Received

If you do not receive your degree certificate within eight weeks of your Graduation Ceremonies please first check the address listed on LSE for You - this is the address we will have sent the certificate to. If the address is correct please submit an enquiry with your name and student number and we will investigate this for you.

Please do not contact us earlier than this because it is likely that your certificate will still be in transit and we cannot search the delivery system properly. If you urgently need a document confirming your degree please request a confirmation of award.


In exceptional circumstances you can make an application for a replacement degree certificate if your first copy has been lost or damaged. 

A statutory declaration must be completed with replacement degree certificate requests. A magistrate, commissioner for oaths or practising solicitor will be able to sign this declaration. If you live overseas the declaration can be witnessed and signed by the British Embassy or Consulate. If you have any questions about obtaining a statutory declaration please contact the Notaries Society.

If you were awarded in 2008 or later you should complete the Replacement Degree Certificate Request Form (which includes the declaration). Be sure to follow the instructions on the form carefully. 

If you were awarded before 2008 you certificate will have been issued by the University of London. To make an application for a replacement UoL degree certificate, please contact


  • PhD Students - Research students should contact the PhD Academy to make arrangements to collect their certificates.
  • MSc in Health Policy, Planning and Finance - The University of London produce certificates for MSc in Health Policy, Planning and Finance so they cannot be collected from LSE.
  • Students who started before 2007/8 - If you started your programme before the 2007/8 academic year you will have been issued with a degree certificate by the University of London. For queries regarding University of London degree certificates, please contact

Meet the team

four LSE graduates posing for a photograph


LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

Uni has it’s ups and downs, but whatever comes your way, there’s a wellbeing programme, mental health resources and……

3 days ago

Reply Retweet Favorite

LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

RT @LSE_PBS: .@EDI_LSE, @lsesu and @lseembrace have collaborated to put together a programme of events and activities at LSE for Black Hist…

4 days ago

Reply Retweet Favorite