UPDATED 25 August 2021- Update supersedes any information published here prior to the update note. Please note that the guidance on residing outside the UK is subject to change, in line with Government guidance.
Continuing MPhil/PhD students (including MRes students progressing onto the PhD in July or September 2021) may apply to reside outside the UK (ROUK) up until 31 March 2022, either as a new request or as an extension of an existing one. However, all students should read the notes below before applying.
This scheme does not apply to new MPhil/PhD students starting in September 2021 who are expected to undertake on-campus studies.
- If you are funded by LSE (this includes LSE, Departmental, Grantham and Leverhulme studentships) or ESRC/AHRC your stipend will remain in place during the ROUK period your stipend will remain in place during the ROUK period.
- If you hold a current student visa, the sponsorship of your visa will continue while you reside outside the UK. However, if you are a final year student your visa will only be sponsored if you are returning to the UK to complete your studies at least 2 months prior to your thesis submission deadline to complete your programme. LSE continues to monitor UK government advice and will update our guidance as appropriate if there are any developments.
- If you plan to apply for the Graduate Route it is your responsibility to consult the International Student Visa Advice Team's webpages for the latest information on this. You can contact ISVAT directly should you have any follow up queries on this. Please note that the PhD Academy is not able to answer any visa related queries. In order for you to obtain the correct information please direct Graduate Route visa queries to ISVAT only.
- Please discuss your intention to reside outside the UK with your supervisor/s prior to applying.
- If you were travelling under the School's travel insurance prior to applying for permission to reside outside the UK you will need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org as you may no longer be eligible for cover.
You should make a request by emailing email@example.com with the following information:
3.Do you have a student visa?
4.Are you funded by the School? If yes, what funding do you receive? (Examples, ESRC, LSE studentship):
5.Reason for residing outside the UK:
A: Please highlight all that apply from the list below:
c. Unable to travel due to COVID 19 restrictions
d. Research (Please note that if you are undertaking fieldwork /data collection or a period of study elsewhere, then you will need to complete the relevant form that can be found in our A-Z of guidance webpages).
B. Please briefly expand on you reason(s) for requiring a residing outside the UK status and your arrangements for supervision.
6.Your current year of study
7. Start date of residing outside the UK period
8. End date of residing outside the UK period
9.Where will you be based during that time?
Please copy in your PhD Manager and Doctoral Programme Director as we need departmental approval.
Should you wish to discuss a different arrangement, then please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a short description of your situation.