What to do in an emergency

Always call 999 if you need help straight away.

Call 999 from any phone / mobile to reach the emergency services

Whether you are on campus, in a hall of residence or anywhere else in the UK – calling 999 will connect you to all emergency services including ambulance, police and fire and rescue services. Explain your problem and the emergency services will work out what kind of help is best.

You should only call the 999 emergency number if:

  • There’s a medical emergency – someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk
  • There’s a fire
  • A crime is taking place, for example an assault or burglary
  • More on when to call 999.

LSE Security

On campus, LSE security can be reached by calling LSE Security  at any time  on their emergency line: 020 7955 6555 who can help liaise with the emergency services and make sure you get help if you're on campus.

Further support

Below, you can find out more about additional support available for non-emergency situations.

Calling 111 for non-emergency medical advice or support

It is important you get the service you need and avoid calling out the emergency services unnecessarily.

Call 111 when you need medical advice or treatment that is not an emergency.

You will speak to trained advisers who are supported by nurses and paramedics. They will ask your symptoms and offer their help.

Call 111 medical care number if:

  • You need medical help fast but it's not an emergency
  • You think you might need hospital treatment
  • You don't have a doctor or it's out of surgery hours
  • You need health advice and are not sure what to do next.

Interpreters are available on this service. They can translate if you have difficulty speaking English or you can ask to use the service in a different language.

Mental health support or you are feeling suicidal

If you’re worried you might harm yourself or others, then please dial 999 or go directly to the Accident and Emergency (A&E) department of your local hospital to get urgent help.  


If you’re having suicidal thoughts or are experiencing a serious mental health crisis, our dedicated webpage will help you look after yourself and find someone to talk to.


Calling 101 in a serious, non-emergency situation

Use the non-emergency number 101 for situations that do not require an immediate police response.  This will help keep 999 available for when there is an emergency.

Here are some examples of when to call 101:

  • General police enquiries
  • Looking to speak with a specific officer
  • A crime or incident that has already happened and there is no emergency
  • Minor traffic collisions that do not require an emergency response
  • Passing information on criminality (for example drugs or anti-social behaviour).

Please note that if you have contacted 101, please also notify LSE Security by calling 020 7955 6555. 

Further support at LSE

LSE Students

Find out more about the teams, services and support here to help you as a person by visiting our student wellbeing webpages.


Students can access 24/7 mental health support via our Partner, Spectrum.Life:

  • Freephone 0808 189 01 03
  • SMS or WhatsApp 00353 873690010
  • Register online for live chat or to make a call back request.

Support available during School closures

Find out more about support available to all students, information about campus opening times, and what to do in an emergency by visiting our wellbeing support webpage. 

Student Support Map

For non-emergency situations, students can find more support by visiting our student support map, (via the Student Hub).

Out of hours support in residence halls

If you are staying in an LSE-owned hall of residence over the break, there will be staff from the Warden's team on site throughout. You can contact them in the same way as you do during term time.



Our staff wellbeing webpage highlights resources available to all staff - including mental and physical wellbeing, details on our Employee Assistance Programme (EAP), staff counselling services, plus financial wellbeing resources.