Wellbeing support over the break

Wherever you will be spending the break, we understand that you may need advice and support. This page lists the support available to all students, information about campus opening times, and what to do in an emergency.

Student wellbeing and mental health support during the break 

You can access a 24/7 out of hours mental health support line via our partner, Spectrum.Life. All calls are answered by clinically trained counsellors or psychotherapists. You can talk to them about anything, including stress, anxiety, low mood, financial worries, loss and grief, relationship problems, and substance abuse issues. 

Contacting Spectrum.Life out of hours support

Please note Spectrum Life will ask for some basic details to ensure you're eligible to use the service. All services provided through Spectrum.Life are done so in total confidence. The identity of individuals and personal details will always be protected.

Getting support - other key services

Academic support

If you have academic concerns, there are a range of support available to you over the break. 

  • Find out about School-wide support available over the break / bank holidays
  • LSE LIFE Study Advisers are here to support you remotely with essays and assignments, preparing for exams and conducting research. Book your appointment via the Student Hub. 
  • Check LSE LIFE's full guide to study resources ahead of your assessments
  • Contact your department - your programme administrator or programme manager are available to support you over the break.

Financial support 

If you do not have a computer at home or are experiencing unforeseen financial difficulties, you can apply to the LSESU Hardship Fund (means-tested).

LSE's Financial Support Office can also assist students with financial difficulties.

Accessing medical care 

Please check with your General Practitioner (GP) surgery directly for opening hours. 

If you need to access medical care, visit the NHS services webpage to find local GP, Urgent Care, Hospital and Dentist provision. 

Access to LSE buildings 

Find out more about access to campus buildings and facilities over the bank holidays.

View the campus and building opening hours

Emergencies on and off campus 

If you experience an emergency on campus, Security maintain a reduced service throughout the School closure period. They can be contacted by telephone: 020 7955 6555 or internal extension 666. 

Contact the UK Emergency Services (Fire / Police / Ambulance / Lifeboats) by dialling 999 from any telephone. Non-emergency medical advice can be sought by dialling 111 and the police non-emergency number is 101. 

For information about what to do in a mental health emergency, visit the Student Counselling Service's Emergencies / feeling suicidal webpage

If you are staying in an LSE-owned hall of residence over the break, there will be staff from the Warden's team on site throughout. You can contact them in the same way as you do during term time. 

Further information

Find additional information about support and opening hours at LSE over the break in the sections below.

Student Services opening hours

For full information about SSC counter opening times, please see the SSC webpage. The counter is closed during public holidays and LSE school closure days - please see the Term Dates webpage for details. 

If you require any urgent documentation, please request it in advance of weekends or any closure periods, allowing for at least 3-5 working days. 

The Library, IT, and Catering opening hours

IT resources and support

Visit the DTS webpage for information about Student Help Desk opening hours and how to access help during the closure.


Visit the catering outlets webpage to find out when LSE catering outlets will be open during the closure.


The Library will remain open 24/7 during the break. Visit the Library opening hours webpage for information.

Travelling over the break

Travel guidance will vary from country to country, so do check the requirements in advance and plan ahead. Read the UK Government guidance regularly about travelling abroad from England, as this can be subject to change. 

Visa information for travelling overseas

If you are planning to travel outside the UK, it is a good idea to take photocopies of your passport, visa and a copy of your Certificate of Registration with you when you travel.  

International students are also strongly advised to review the ISVAT information on travelling during your studies.

You should always check to see if you need a visa for the country you are travelling to and review visa application instructions carefully. The ISVAT webpage provides guidance on Schengen visas for travel in Europe. You can also find further information on the UK Council for International Student Affairs website. You will need a letter from LSE, so be sure to plan ahead and request it in advance, because the Student Services Centre operates reduced opening hours in December and is closed for the Christmas closure.

Keep your passport and visa safe

If you have a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), this is your visa and you will need to carry it with you while you travel to prove your entitlement to return to the UK. Store it safely and don’t risk travelling without it.

If your passport/visa is lost or stolen whilst travelling, please read the information online and contact the International Student Visa Advice Team for advice if required.

Travel insurance

Don’t forget to arrange travel insurance as your NHS cover will not apply outside the UK. You should be careful to choose insurance which is suitable for international students. If it is only suitable for permanent UK residents, you will not be able to make a claim if anything happens.

ISVAT opening hours

For information about ISVAT drop-in sessions and live chat, please see the ISVAT webpage. Please note that ISVAT will be closed over the bank holidays. Emails will not be monitored during this time.  

Emergencies abroad

In case of emergency while travelling, please contact your Embassy in the country you are travelling in. You can also contact the following organisations: 

You can also contact the ISVAT team but please note that emails will not be picked up until Thursday 21 April.

Undergraduate In-year Resit and Deferred Assessment Period (IRDAP)

Undergraduate IRDAP exam dates

The Undergraduate In-year Resit and Deferred Assessment Period (IRDAP) will take place between Monday 15 August and Tuesday 23 August 2022 inclusive.

The IRDAP 2022 in-person exam timetable will be available by Friday 29 July 2022.

Visit the exams timetable webpage for further information.

Exam and assessment guidance

Visit the assessment FAQs and assessments webpage for everything you need to know about sitting assessments. 

Exam and assessment queries

Most questions will be answered on the following webpages:



LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

👋 Will you be joining LSE in the autumn? Meet your future classmates, learn more about LSE, and get answers all th… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…

Reply Retweet Favorite

LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

Graduates! Come to the Alumni Centre to: Take a fun photo 🤳 Write a letter to your future self 📝 Collect your alu… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…

Reply Retweet Favorite