Healthcare in the UK

Find a GP and register with them as early as possible - don't wait until you fall unwell!

Healthcare-logoYou are likely to need to access medical care while you are at LSE, even if this is just for routine appointments.

Expand the sections below to find out about eligibility for National Health Service (NHS) treatment, registering with a doctor, and the different types of other NHS services available.

Am I eligible for treatment on the NHS?

You are typically eligible for free treatment on the NHS if you fall into one of the following categories:

  • You are a UK resident
  • You have a Tier 4 visa and have paid the immigration health surcharge
  • You applied for your current visa before the immigration health surcharge was introduced in April 2015
  • You are an EU/EEA student with with an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

This list is not exhaustive. For further information about access to healthcare for international students, please visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website or contact the LSE Student Advice and Engagement (Visa Advice) Team.

Information for international students

Non-EU Nationals

Overseas students on full-time courses lasting six months or longer are usually eligible for NHS treatment. The Health and Healthcare pages from UKCISA  and the NHS website are good places for overseas students to find information about UK health services and eligibility for NHS care.

Even if you are eligible for NHS treatment you may have to pay for prescription medicines. Your doctor or local pharmacist can advise you.

European Economic Area (EEA) nationals

It is a requirement that that EEA students and their family members have Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (if they are not also in the UK as a worker or as a self-employed person).  Up-to-date information on Comprehensive Sickness Insurance can be found on the UKCISA web pages.

Most EEA citizens can use an EHIC card (obtained in their home country before travel to the UK) to access NHS health care whilst in the UK providing they are in the UK on a temporary basis. For more information please visit EU and EEA Nationals.

Registering with a doctor

Doctor's offices in the UK are often known as 'surgeries' or 'health centres' and are staffed by General Practitioners (GPs). As soon as you arrive in London, you should register with a GP. Do not wait until you are unwell. 

You can find your nearest GP by using the GP finder on the NHS website

You may be asked to provide proof that you are a student when registering with a GP.

Check with your local surgery for opening hours and information on making appointments.  After you register, you will receive a personal NHS number which you should keep safe in case you need to present it when you access NHS services.

Emergency and urgent care services

In an emergency you should dial 999 to call the ambulance, police, fire or coast guard services. This is a free call. A 999 call should only be made in a genuine emergency.

You can also visit the accident and emergency (A&E) department of your local hospital or urgent care centre. Less severe injuries can be treated in minor injuries services and NHS walk-in centres, which treat patients without an appointment.

Medical advice at pharmacies

As well as dispensing medicines, pharmacies can offer advice on common health problems and help to answer routine questions about the medicines you are taking.

You do not need an appointment to speak to a pharmacist. Just visit any pharmacy and ask if a pharmacist is available. Some pharmacies have separate consultation areas for your privacy.


NHS dentists provide dental treatment that is clinically necessary to keep your mouth, teeth and gums healthy. Not all dental surgeries accept NHS patients, so visit the NHS website to find lists of NHS dentists. 

Even as an NHS patient, you may need to make a contribution towards the cost of your dental treatment. If you are not covered by the NHS or the dentist does not take NHS patients, you will need to pay for the full cost of your treatment. 

There is a dental practice located on campus. Sardinia House Dental Practice is an independent dental practice which offers preferential rates to LSE staff and students. They are located on the 4th floor of Sardinia House and can be contacted on 020 7404 8600.


The NHS website offers an overview of NHS eye care services and allows you to search for services near you.

Many opticians operate from high street shops and there is normally a charge for an eye test on the NHS. 

Innoculations and vaccinations

If you are required to have any vaccinations, including meningitis, or evidence of a recent check-up or chest x-ray, you should arrange to have these when applying for your visa.

Public Health England have advised that new university students obtain the Men ACWY vaccine before arrival.  This also applies to overseas and mature students (up to the age of 25). You are advised to contact your doctor to arrange to have the vaccination if you have not done so previously. 

Pregnancy and child raising

LSE's what if I become pregnant? page offers information about support available within LSE and externally.

Private health insurance

You may decide to take out private health insurance during your stay in the UK. There are many companies who provide a range of private services. LSE is unable to make recommendations about the best private health insurance provider for your needs.   


Information about Coronavirus

Information for students about the current Coronavirus outbreak can be found here.


Please note that LSE is not responsible for the content of external websites or the services provided by external organisations.

Please ensure all the details have been entered correctly in the Twitter control.

Contact us


NHS non-emergency medical advice 111

NHS emergency medical assistance 999

LSE Student Services Centre +44 (0) 20 7955 6167


Student Services Centre

Address View on Google maps

Student Services Centre, (Ground Floor) Old Building, Houghton Street, London, WC2A 2AE