I am expecting a baby

what do I need to do?

It is important that you let the School know that you are pregnant as soon as you can.

It is important that you let the School know that you or your partner is expecting a baby as soon as you can. You are advised to speak to your Academic Mentor or Supervisor. This is so that we can ensure any necessary adjustments or provisions are made for you, as far as possible.

If you feel uncomfortable talking to someone within your department, you can contact one of the School support services instead. The Faith Centre and Student Wellbeing Service are also available for support.

If you haven’t registered and/or made contact with a doctor, do so as soon as possible.  To register with a doctor local to where you live you can find full details here.

What if I'm having difficulties or my pregnancy is unplanned?

We understand that in some cases the pregnancy may not be planned or may progress with difficulty. You can make use of the various support services within the School.

You can also use a number of other organisations outside of the School, most of which will be free to access. Some details are listed below or you can talk to your doctor for further guidance. 

  • Brook: provides free and confidential sexual health advice and contraception to young  people, including advice on pregnancy.
  • Marie Stopes Foundation: the UK's leading provider of sexual and reproductive healthcare services provides confidential counselling on unplanned pregnancies.
  • Miscarriage Association: provides support and information to anyone affected by pregnancy loss. 
  • Child Bereavement UK: supports families when a baby or child of any age dies.
  • Which?Birth Choice: gives independent advice on where to give birth, as well as comprehensive information about NHS maternity facilities across the UK. 

If you are going to be away from the School for some time you must inform your department that you are taking medical leave. You can also inform staff in the Student Advice and Engagement Team (in the Student Services Centre).  PhD students should also inform the PhD Academy

Managing your studies

There will be a number of options available to you in relation to your studies. The advice you are given will largely depend on your individual circumstances and the timing of the academic year in relation to your pregnancy and due date. You are advised to speak to your department for advice on the best options for you.

Options may include:

Research students

If you are an MPhil or PhD student and are planning to take part in fieldwork during your pregnancy you must inform your supervisor. It may be possible for you to organise your fieldwork to take place following your pregnancy. This is something that you can discuss with your supervisor.

If you wish to undertake the fieldwork during your pregnancy you will be expected to seek appropriate medical advice (particularly if you plan on travelling); and complete the Fieldwork Request Form, which includes a risk assessment section.

Risk assessments are not carried out as a standard for pregnant women, in line with guidance from the Health and Safety Executive. However, from the School’s point of view, the Health and Safety Team would wish to be contacted if you:

  • May be unable to evacuate a building without assistance, in the event of an emergency.
  • Will be carrying out or planning to carry out fieldwork during your pregnancy

The Health and Safety Team have posted some helpful tips about how to ease common problems experienced in pregnancy. These are aimed at staff members, but are easily transferable to students. 

Accommodation, Finance and Visas

Depending on the circumstances, your pregnancy may mean you will have to make some changes to your student lifestyle. For example, if you interrupt your studies any funding you are in receipt off will pause for the period of interruption. Similarly your visa sponsorship (as applicable) will be curtailed. Or if you live in an LSE Hall of Residence you will find it is no longer suitable. These may be things you will want to consider and will likely need to discuss with the relevant teams.  

Students holding sponsored visas must get in touch with the Student Advice and Engagement Team as there may be implications on your immigration status depending on if and when you need to take a break from your studies.


It is a legal requirement to take a minimum of two weeks off work/study following childbirth. You are advised to build this into your planned break from and return to your studies.

Rest and breastfeeding facilities

The School has a room on the first floor of Pethick-Lawrence House (formerly Tower 3), where expectant mothers can rest and where new mothers can breastfeed or express and store milk. This facility is available for both staff and students to use. Students who would like to access the room should ask at the Fawcett House reception.


It is advisable to begin to make arrangements at the beginning of your pregnancy. 

You may like to explore the options of early year childcare provision at LSE

You will also be able to find a list of nurseries local to you through your Borough’s website.

The London Early Years Foundation also has a number of nurseries across London.

Support Services

If you require any advice before, during or after your pregnancy you are encouraged to get in touch with the School. You can speak to any of the following individuals for confidential advice:

Student Services Centre

Bethan Ovens: Head of Student Advice and Engagement

Chiara Milani: Deputy Head of Student Advice and Engagement

Rosie Springett: Senior Administrator

Or you can complete the SSC Enquiry Form and choose 'Other Student Services enquiries'

Adviser to women students

Dr Sarah Trotter