Reporting an issue

We hope that your time at LSE runs smoothly, but we also recognise that any number of things can happen during study. Without reporting issues, there's no way for staff to work with you on addressing them.

To find out who to contact and how to report concerns, we've prepared the list of contacts below. Your Academic Mentor is also a good first point of call for many of these things, though they may not be able to take on and fix the issue themselves in most cases.

Report accommodation issues

If you're experiencing an issue in LSE Halls, you can report it here.

If you've having a problem in private halls and have reported it through the correct channels (usually by going to the help desk or reporting it through their online system), but have received no response or are not happy, the LSESU Advice team or University of London Housing Services will be able to explain your rights and may be able to help.

If you're experiencing issues with a private rented property, the LSESU Advice team, University of London Housing Services and your local council are all good sources of information and advice.

If you're living in the private sector and having problems with noise, neighbours or environmental issues, contact your local council  for more information and support. 

Report changes to your academic plans

If you're experiencing any academic issues and need to let the School know about any changes you need to make to your programme, your Academic Mentor can help. There's more information about processes below and on the My Study page.

Deadline extensions:

If you feel you will most likely miss an assessment deadline for any reason, let us know sooner rather than later. It may be possible to get a deadline extension. There are slightly different procedures across the School, so find out as soon as you can by contacting your Mentor, course teacher or the course administrators.

If it’s not possible to get an extension in your circumstances, you should get in touch with your course tutor or an LSE LIFE adviser for guidance. They can’t complete work for you but they can give you tips and advice on how to progress. 

Exceptional circumstances:

Exceptional circumstances are unforeseen events that were totally out of your control but may have had a significant impact on your performance in any summative assessment you completed (not just exams). Telling the Exam Board about your circumstances will allow them to consider granting you a further attempt or for them to look again at your final classification (final years only).  Marks for an individual piece of work will never be altered through this process.

If you do feel your studies were impacted by something out of your control, you should fill in an exceptional circumstances form and submit it to the Student Services Centre (either to counter staff or by dropping it into the drop-box opposite the counter).

When you apply for exceptional circumstances, the obligation is on you to prove what happened and how it impacted on your studies. This means you need to take filling in the form and providing evidence very seriously and not expect the people assessing your form to chase you for further information. You need to fill in the form and submit via the Student Services Centre even if you’ve told your department about your circumstances in person.

There’s more information on the LSE exceptional circumstances website, including the deadlines that you must meet.

Interruption of studies:

If you feel that you need to take a break from your studies for one calendar year, perhaps because of health issues or problems at home, it is possible to apply for an interruption of studies. You’ll leave LSE then return at the start of the same term the following year, so, for example, if you leave in February, you’ll return at the start of Lent Term the following year. This should give you the time and space you need to deal with whatever’s happening before you return to LSE.

If you wish to do this, the first person you should speak to is your Academic Mentor.

If you’re considering interrupting, you should think about all the things that may be affected, including accommodation, fees and finance and future plans. Your Mentor, the Student Services Centre and the Students’ Union should be able to support you with the process.


If you’ve received all your teaching in an academic year but something unexpected has come up that means you really don’t feel it’s plausible to submit your dissertation or sit your exams until the next academic year you can apply for a deferral.

The deferral form asks you to outline your reasons for wanting a deferral, asks for supporting evidence and then allows the Chair of the Sub-Board of Examiners to decide whether or not to grant the deferral in your case.

Common reasons for deferral include bereavement, severe and sudden illness or accident, sudden and unexpected caring demands or being a victim of a crime. This isn’t an exclusive list so if you feel deferral may be the right thing for you, discuss it with your Academic Mentor.

You should make sure you fully understand the implications of this option by carefully reading the LSE deferral website and asking questions if there’s anything you’re unsure about.

Report concerns about another student

 There's lots of practical advice for if you're worried about another student here.

During working hours, you can speak to members of staff, including those in the student services centre and in your department.

For immediate safety concerns, you can also contact LSE security on 666 from any internal phone, or the Police or Ambulance service on 999.

Report a crime, including rape or attempted rape and sexual assault or attempted sexual assault

If you or someone else is in danger and the crime is still taking place, you should call 999 immediately and ask for the Police to attend, letting them know exactly where the incident is.

If the crime has finished and you are safe - for example, if you come home and seen you've been burgled but the burglar is clearly gone or you were involved in an incident while you were out but are now safe indoors - you should call 101 to let the Police know and ask them to send staff to investigate, if necessary.

If you have been the victim of a crime, you may also decide to inform your Academic Mentor, department or another staff member you trust. They will be able to talk about your options if it's having an impact on your work and support you, but they won't be able to investigate what happened, even if the accused is another student, until the Police have finished their work. This doesn't mean you will necessarily have to keep working with or seeing a person who hurt you, but it does mean that LSE can't enforce any penalty against them at this stage.

Rape and sexual assault

If you, or someone you know, has been the victim of a rape or sexual assault you can report this to the Police, who will investigate and assist you right away. You don't have to do this, and many people don't for many complex reasons. Even if you decide not to report what happened to you, it is important to seek support if you need it and there is no shame in doing so. There are plenty of people at LSE and people working with specialist groups outside of LSE who can help you without passing judgement, no matter who you are or what happened to you. 

Support at LSE

LSE Safe Contacts have received enhanced sexual violence training and can offer confidential support to students. You might want to talk to one of them if you're feeling lost or want to know more about what LSE can do to help.

A Safe Contact can also write letters of support and/or provide advocacy where required. You can contact any of them. 

Other sources of support

You could contact the LSESU Advice team if you need someone to speak to or if the incident occured an SU venue or event.

Your Academic Mentor could support you with departmental policies and accessing further services.

The Faith Centre can offer you support, no matter what your religious background.

The LSE Counselling team can listen to you and consider any counselling that may benefit you.

Specialist support outside of LSE

Report harassment or bullying

If you are experiencing, or think you are experiencing, harassment or bullying from any member of staff or another student, you can report this so it can be investigated.

You can also report this anonymously if you'd prefer.

There's more information, including the form you should fill in to report an incident here.

You can speak to the LSE hall wardens if the incident happened in LSE accommodation.

For further information on harassment, you can visit the Citizen's Advice  website or the ACAS  page for information specifically on harassment in the workplace.