Careers advice


LSE Careers provides a comprehensive careers service for you as doctoral students and recent PhD graduates, helping you to:

  • make the most of your PhD experiences
  • gain new skills and experience 
  • research career options
  • increase your connections and network with potential employers
  • find vacancies for permanent jobs and part-time work

We work completely confidentially with you to help you make the best decisions about your career and develop your future plans at whatever stage you are. Our knowledge and expertise about jobs and funding opportunities during and after your PhD can help you make progress, whatever your career plans.

We help you to consider and prepare for career opportunities in academia and other employment sectors. Initially each year about 60% of LSE PhD graduates go on to work in education and 40% work in other fields such as government, NGOs, think tanks, consultancy, and commercial organisations. About 25% start work outside Europe and the other 75% in the UK and Europe.

Career development

Our resources can help you explore:


You can book an appointment through CareerHub to meet with Catherine Reynolds, the Careers Consultant for PhD students, in one of the Academy meeting rooms or in LSE Careers. 

These last 40 minutes and are held in confidence; currently these are online. 


All job opportunities generated by the LSE Careers team are listed on our Career Hub vacancy list. Our Employer Engagement Team develop relationships with employers and are dedicated to advertising jobs and other part-time, full-time, European and international, internship and voluntary opportunities. You can search these by key word and follow your favourite employers to keep up to date with their recruitment activity. We list PhD jobsites for working in academia and working outside academia

Career events

One hour seminars on careers issues relevant to doctoral students run throughout the year. Find out when they are and how to book on our Events and courses page of Career Hub. You can also find presentations from all our PhD careers seminars at PhD careers seminar slides.

PhD careers blogs

We post regularly on the PhD careers blog to keep you informed about our services, events and many career opportunities. 

Books and other resources

LSE Careers holds resources to support the career development of PhD researchers. Our sector information is relevant to all our students thinking about opportunities outside academia.

Access to LSE Careers after you graduate

Opportunities and events listed on CareerHub are available to you for five years after you graduate. You can continue to use our one to one services after you graduate too. Further information on alumni access is here.

You also have access to all these services as a member of staff on a fixed term contract (for example, post doc, research assistant, Fellow)

If you have questions about career issues, please email our Careers Consultant for PhD students and staff, Catherine Reynolds

I am very happy to work with you.