Central Exam Adjustments

Evidence to support short-term applications

All applications for short-term CEAs must be supported by appropriate evidence

Your application for short-term Central Exam Adjustments (CEAs) must be accompanied by appropriate evidence, in English. You will not be able to submit the form unless you have uploaded evidence and will need to confirm that it is written in English.

The sections below provide guidance on what type of evidence would be appropriate, who sees your evidence, the technical requirements, and how you can get documents translated. 

Submit what you have by the deadline

It is more important that you meet the deadline for applications than wait to get all your evidence and miss the deadline. Whilst you should aim to meet the evidence requirements laid our here, we would always recommend that you submit what evidence that you have available by the deadline. We will always do what we can with the evidence that you provide. 

Who sees your evidence

Any evidence that you submit will be reviewed by staff from the Student Services Centre and Disability and Mental Health Service. All evidence is treated in confidence. 

Evidence to support applications relating to acute illnesses, injuries etc.

We expect applications relating to acute, sudden and short-term circumstances or conditions to meet the requirements laid out in the Standards of Evidence document. 

The panel understands that, in some cases, it can be difficult to obtain appropriate evidence for short-term conditions or circumstances. We acknowledge that if you, for example, suddenly injure yourself, it may be difficult to obtain a letter from your GP and the panel will therefore accept a discharge note from A&E instead. In some cases, the panel can be more flexible around the evidence for short-term CEAs than may be the case for other processes such as long-term CEAs or Exceptional Circumstances (ECs). We would expect the evidence for a long standing situation to be more compelling than the evidence for a short-term or acute condition. 

The Student Wellbeing Service have a medical pro forma which you may find helpful if you're requesting evidence from a medical professional. 

Evidence to support applications for longer term conditions or circumstances

You should not normally use the short-term CEA process if you have a long-term condition or disability (including mental health conditions). Short-term CEAs are only put in place for one exam season and will not be repeated. If you have a long-term condition or disability, and it is before the deadline, you should make contact with the Disability and Mental Health Service.

However, we acknowledge that, in some cases, it may not be possible for you to follow the long-term process - for example, if a diagnosis arrives after the long-term CEA deadline. In these cases you should provide evidence in line with the guidance laid out by the Disability and Mental Health Service

To avoid you needing to resubmit evidence, the evidence that you supply with your short-term CEA application will be shared with the Disability and Mental Health Service so they can start the process of looking into long-term CEAs with you. 

Technical requirements

The short-term CEA application form accepts a range of file formats. The maximum file size is 2GB.

You can submit files in the formats listed below. However we expect most files to be PDFs, Word documents or images. 

  • Portable Document Format (.pdf)
  • Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx)
  • Image files (gif, .jpe, .jpg, .jpeg, .bmp, .png, .tif, .tiff)
  • Microsoft PowerPoint (.pptx, .pps, .ppt)
  • Microsoft Excel (.xlsx, .xls)
  • Sound files (.mp3)
  • Video files (.mp4, .mpeg)

We cannot accept HEIC files (photographs taken using Apple devices). If you have HEIC files please convert them to JPEG files before uploading. There are lots of free conversion tools available online.

Translating evidence

All evidence must be signed, dated, and written in English. If your evidence is not written in English, you will need to provide a certified translation.

The LSE Language Centre are able translate documents from languages that they teach. There is a fee for this service and requires at least 72 hours. Visit Language Centre Additional Services for more information. Alternatively, you can use an external translation agency, you should contact your embassy for a list of authorised agencies.

When you provide translated evidence, the original (untranslated) document must also be provided.