Helping another student in crisis

Call 999 and be willing to explain why you are worried about another student

 Get urgent help in an emergency 

If someone is in immediate danger of serious harm, for example if they're having a mental health crisis or feeling suicidal, please consider getting urgent help by calling 999.

  • Ask for an ambulance 
  • Be willing to explain why you are worried about them

Don’t worry if you’re not sure what kind of help they need, just explain your concerns about the other student - for example 'I'm worried they may harm themselves' - and why you are concerned, and the call handler can work out what kind of help may be best. You can also call LSE Security for urgent advice if you're on campus.
Another option would be to offer to take the student directly to the Accident and Emergency (A&E) department of your local hospital to get urgent help. The nearest A&E department to LSE is UCLH on Euston Road (view map). If you're away from LSE, you can search for your nearest UK A&E service online via the NHS. If the student can’t go to A&E themselves, you or they can call 999  to request an ambulance. 

Inform LSE about what has happened 

Afterwards, please inform the Student Wellbeing Service about what has happened. Email with the header ‘Urgent’, giving them your contact details as well as the details of the person you are worried about.


Look after yourself

Supporting someone who's experiencing suicidal thoughts or a mental health crisis isn't easy. Please consider finding some support for yourself, either at LSE through our Counselling Service or through an external provider. We have further guidance on what you can do to support a friend who's having a difficult time on this webpage.


Get support for your mental health and wellbeing throughout your time at LSE

A group of students study together


LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

Don't forget to apply and join our team for September Welcome! Deadline on Sunday. See below for more details ⬇️…

6 days ago

Reply Retweet Favorite

LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

RT @EdenLSE: Couple of big events taking place this week! Firstly, the LSE Change Makers final event (for this year, anyway!) is tomorrow (…

4 weeks ago

Reply Retweet Favorite

Contact us


Disability and Wellbeing Service +44 (0)20 7955 7567

Student Counselling Service +44 (0)20 7852 3627


Disability and Wellbeing Service

Student Counselling Service


3rd and 4th Floor, Fawcett House (FAW), Clements Inn, London, WC2A 2AZ