Deaf or hard of hearing

An Adviser can talk to you about ways we can support your learning, from My Adjustments to human support and assistive technology

If you are deaf or hard of hearing, the Disability and Wellbeing Service is here to make sure you have the tools and support you need to undertake your studies at LSE.  

Current students are encouraged to register with us in order to discuss your circumstances in confidence with an adviser. Our Advisers will talk to you about your individual needs, and create a plan to ensure we can facilitate any adjustments and additional support which will help you get the most out of your time here.  

What support is available?

When you meet with an adviser they will talk you through the various ways in which the School can provide support and adjustments to your studies, such as: 

My Adjustments 

Any necessary support and adjustments to your teaching and learning will be recorded within a document known as My Adjustments (MAs). MAs will be shared with staff on a need-to-know basis to ensure that these can be implemented. Examples of adjustments could be making sure that your lecturers use a suitable microphone, reserving appropriate seating in lecture theatres, and providing teaching materials in advance. 

MAs are created in collaboration with you, and will be discussed in detail with your adviser at your first appointment.

Central Exam Adjustments 

We can recommend Central Exam Adjustments (CEAs) to ensure you are able to take your exams with reasonable adjustments in place. For example, extra writing time, and visual warnings of time marks during the exam.  

Appropriate CEAs can be discussed with your adviser, and are dependent on your individual circumstances and the medical evidence you provide.  

Disabled Students' Allowances

Home Students 

UK students are encouraged to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA). This will fund software and equipment which you may need in order to undertake your studies, as well as some forms of specialist human support. For example, an electronic notetaking service for teaching sessions, or individual language tuition.  

If you are funded by a UK Research Council, you should speak with an adviser for further information on how to apply. All other students must apply for DSA via Student Finance England, or the appropriate home country equivalent. Our team are happy to answer any questions you may have about the process.  

International Students  

International students are not eligible for DSA funding, though where appropriate, LSE will cover the cost of disability-related support and technology needed for your studies.

Studying at LSE

For practical information and tips, please see our guide to studying at LSE with as a deaf or hard of hearing student (pdf). 


Any sensitive information which you provide is held by the Disability and Wellbeing Service in the strictest confidence, and only shared with other LSE staff on a need-to-know basis with your prior consent. The only exception is where the withholding of information poses a significant risk of harm to yourself or others. For full details, please see our Policy, Procedures and Confidentiality page.  

 Speak with an Adviser


LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

👋 Will you be joining LSE in the autumn? Meet your future classmates, learn more about LSE, and get answers all th……

Reply Retweet Favorite

LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

Graduates! Come to the Alumni Centre to: Take a fun photo 🤳 Write a letter to your future self 📝 Collect your alu……

Reply Retweet Favorite

Contact us


Call us: +44 (0) 20 7955 7767

Address View on Google maps

Disability and Wellbeing Service, Third floor, Fawcett House (FAW), Clement's Inn, London, WC2A 2AE