My Life

Balancing study and the rest of your life can be tricky but at LSE, there's support available for when things don't go to plan and a range of opportunities to help you make the most out of your time as a student in a busy, vibrant city.

Your Academic Mentor can discuss any area of your life with you, and refer you on to specialists when necessary. You can also approach any of LSE's services yourself. Details of how to do that can be found by following the links below to their websites.

How can I find out more about...

Dealing with personal issues or problems at home

Receiving bad news, living in difficult conditions or experiencing any other type of problem in your personal life is nothing to be ashamed of and doesn't have to mean you won't succeed in your studies at LSE. There are lots of sources of support and they're here to help when things aren't going to plan. Letting someone know early and understanding the support available can prevent problems from growing and becoming more difficult to handle later on.

You can speak to your Academic Mentor who will listen to you and advise how the School and department can support you, and whether you need to consider interrupting or deferring your studies.

The Student Services Centre can provide practical advice on a range of concerns to do with finance, admissions and administrative issues.

The Disability and Wellbeing Service can provide support and advice and the Counselling Service is open to talk about a range of problems. These services are for all students, not just those with a diagnosed mental health conditions or disabilities.

You can also go to the LSESU Advice team to discuss, in confidence, any issues you're having, including questions about exceptional circumstances, council tax, renting and the LSESU hardship fund. 


While London is a great city and an exciting place to live, but things can go wrong whether you're living in Halls or Private Rented Accommodation, or even in the home of a family member or partner.

For support with Halls, contact Accommodation and LSE Residences.

For support with Private Rented Accommodation or living with a family member or partner, contact the LSESU Advice team or the University of London Housing Services.

Further information can be found through:

Shelter: national housing and homelessness charity who can advise on rental rights

The UK Government: on local services and renting, as well as Council and Housing Association housing

Citizens Advice: further information on all areas of housing

Health services

No matter how healthy your lifestyle, you might need to seek medical assistance during your studies. For almost all of our students, NHS services can be accessed free. In the UK, the first place to go for help with most illnesses is a GP surgery (sometimes known as a 'GP Practice'). GPs are doctors who work outside of hospitals. GP surgeries often employ other qualified staff such as nurses and physiotherapists as well. The teams can help with anything from minor injuries and bacterial infections to pregnancy, ongoing health conditions and mental health issues such as depression or anxiety. They can also refer you on to specialist doctros if you need specific follow up treatments.

You need to register with a surgery so they can list you as one of their patients. It doesn't take long and you should think about doing this as soon as you arrive at LSE, even if you've never really seen a doctor often before. 

You can find your nearest GP surgeries on the NHS website

You can also use Walk-in Centres if you're not registered anywhere or couldn't get an appointment with your regular surgery. Find your nearest on the NHS website.

In the case of serious illness or accident, or if your GP surgery is closed and you cannot wait until it reopens you should go to an Accident and Emergency (A & E) department at a hospital. If you, or someone you are with are at great risk and need urgent attention, you can call 999 and request an ambulance. You should only attend A & E or call an ambulance in emergencies.

More information about healthcare options in the UK can be found on the Disability and Wellbeing Service website.

More information for pregnant students can be found online or by speaking with your Academic Mentor.

More information for International Students can be found on the UKCISA website


LSE is a diverse community with students and staff following many different religions. 

To support those with religious beliefs in their practice, those who wish to engage in an interfaith community and those who wish to talk about their faith, the LSE Faith Centre provides space, classes and events on campus.

LSESU also has a number of Faith societies where students can come together to discuss their faith.

For students of faith who find deadlines or exams clash with religious celebrations, please see the examinations handbook or speak with your Academic Mentor or departmental administrators for further guidance.


Managing on a tight budget is one of the biggest challenges for many students. Even if you've secured part time work or have support from family, London is expensive and you may need extra help.

Debt can become a massive problem more quickly than many people imagine and it's important to address issues early on. You should seek advice before making the decision to take out any loan. Most importantly, you should never, ever take a loan from a loan shark or unregistered lending service.

Specialist drop-ins with the Fees and Finance advisers at the Student Services Centre can help you explore any financial issues you may be having and understand how LSE may be able to support you.

If you need further specialist advice, particularly if you are in debt or concerned about gambling, external services such as the Money Advice Service and Citizen's Advice can offer free, impartial advice to help.


London has a lively LGBT+ scene and a generally friendly and open approach to the LGBT+ community. At LSE, we expect students and staff to feel respected, no matter what their sexuality or gender identity.

LSESU's Pride: Gender and Sexual Diversity Alliance society provides community for gender and sexually diverse students.

If you are experiencing doubt or concern around gender or sexuality, the LSE Counselling team can support you. 

If you've got any questions or concerns about harassment, you can find out more about LSE's policies and report them here.

Additionally, you can contact any of the groups below for further support:

Switchboard - helpline and information for LGBT+ people run by LGBT+ volunteers.

The Pink Practice - a lesbian, gay and queer counselling and psychotherapy service based in central London.

Imaan - a social support group for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Muslims, which offers advice and support through their website.

NUS connect - LGBT campaign information

Loneliness, homesickness and culture shock

It can be hard to come to feel like you're fitting in at University, and making friends can be challenging, whatever stage of life you're at and wherever you grew up. Homesickness, loneliness and feeling out of place are normal feelings and we can support you to work through them.

If you need to talk, support is available from many sources including your Academic Mentor, The Disability and Wellbeing Service and the LSESU Advice team as well as the LSE Counselling team.

LSESU activities and societies are a great place to meet people with similar interests and learn new things. You can find out more on their website.

There are some great tips for dealing with culture shock here.

There's also lots of good advice online on dealing with homesickness and you may find tips that work for you. If not, contact your Academic Mentor or one of the teams above. They are there to discuss issues like this and will not think your concerns trivial, irrelevant or not 'important enough'.

Mental Health

It is not uncommon for students to experience mental health issues during their studies.

Find more information on mental health during study here.

For any questions you still have, the Disability and Wellbeing Service, the LSESU Advice team or the LSE Counselling team can be approached for help and advice in the first instance. 


Being an LSE student doesn't just have to be about studying for exams and attending classes. There are many ways for students to get involved, gain experience, meet new people and prepare for life after LSE.

The LSE Careers offers support finding jobs and internships as well as exploring possible careers in your field.

LSE GROUPS allows undergraduate students to gain experience of completing an interdisciplinary research project.

Me+LSE is an interactive tool to help you identify strengths and weaknesses. Your Academic Mentor may ask you to use it to help them to tailor their support to you, or you could attend a workshop or book an appointment with an adviser in LSE LIFE to discuss your results and work on your goals.

Becoming an LSE Peer Supporter will help you develop skills and support other students in the LSE community.

LSESU offers societies, sports, media and RAG as well as opportunities to get involved in representing other students in School meetings as a Course Rep.

LSE Volunteering  offers a range of different volunteering options and supports students to gain experience and support local communities.


Visas, Immigration and information for International Students

While your Academic Mentor will be able to help answer questions on academic standards and living in the UK, it's unlikely they'll be able to give you support with visa or immigration queries. Regulations in this area are complex and do change so the International Student Visa Advice Team are the best source for up to date information. You should contact them in the first instance.

If there is a problem that could affect your studies, letting your Mentor know will help you understand what your department could do to support you.

The LSE website has lots of useful information for international students.

LSE LIFE can help with queries about academic standards and expectations, including referencing, plagiarism and using sources.

The LSE Language Centre offers a range of English language support options.

LSESU has many societies aimed at creating networks for students from around the world.

UKCISA, a UK charity, can also help with queries from international students. As well as providing information and advice online, they run a telephone helpline on weekday afternoons.