The ceremonies normally last between one and one and a quarter hours. The ceremony proceedings are as follows:
- At the start of the ceremony, graduands and guests will be asked to stand as the academic procession arrives in the theatre.
- Once the ceremony has been declared open, the Director will give the opening address.
- Then a senior member of each department will present the graduands to the Director.
When instructed by ceremony staff, you will climb the steps to the stage and hand your name card to the presenter who will read out your name.
As your name is read out, you should walk to the middle of the stage where the Director will shake your hand. If, for cultural or religious reasons, you do not wish to shake hands with the Director, please hold the ceremony brochure in your right hand as you walk across the stage.
Please also note that you may not wear your hat on stage. If you have a hat, you should leave this on your seat or carry it in your left hand as your walk across the stage.
- Once you have shaken the Director's hand, you should leave the stage by the steps on the opposite side, walk up the aisle and return to your seat, where you will remain until the ceremony is over. Ushers will be there to guide you back to your seat.
- At some ceremonies honorary degrees or honorary fellowships will then be awarded.
- A member of the School’s alumni community will then deliver an address.
- And finally, the graduands will rise and the Director will formally grant them the awards for which they have been recommended. Graduands will then have officially become graduates of the School.
- The ceremony is declared closed and the graduates and their guests will be asked to stand for the recessional.
Post-ceremony drink receptions are held immediately following the ceremonies and the location will be printed on the graduands' tickets