The School is confident that its approach to the marking of students' summative work is sufficiently robust and, as such, there is no provision for an exam script or coursework to be re-marked once the final mark has been confirmed by an external examiner. However, although the academic judgement of the internal and external examiners cannot be called into question, the School does permit students to request an administrative mark check in certain specific circumstances.
This check verifies that the published final mark on LSE for You corresponds to the mark you were awarded by the relevant academic department.
Administrative mark checks are only available for ratified final results that are either:
- Failed courses
- Passed courses with borderline marks
- Passed components with borderline marks
'Borderline' is defined as where your mark is no more than 3 marks away from the next higher classification boundary in a single course
Mark checks are not available for provisional January results or 12 month PG results prior to ratification. Mark checks are not available for marks released in previous academic years.
- Administrative mark checks are available after the School's main results release dates in July, September and November. You can request an administrative mark check during this period after your results have been published and before the relevant deadlines below. This means that you cannot request an administrative mark check on provisional results. LLB students will not be able to request an administrative mark check until the main undergraduate results have been released.
- For results published in July 2020, administrative mark check requests can be submitted from 16 July 2020 and must be submitted by 30 July 2020.
- For results published in September 2020, administrative mark check requests can be submitted from 21 September 2020 and must be submitted by 5 October 2020.
- For results published in November 2020, administrative mark check requests can be submitted from 16 November 2020 and must be submitted by 30 September 2020.
You can only request an administrative mark check after final ratified results have been published and before the deadlines (see above). It is not possible to request an administrative mark check for results released in previous academic years.
There is a non-refundable charge of £10 for each course mark to be checked.
By submitting a request, you are confirming that the relevant course marks are eligible to be checked. In the event that a course for which a mark check has been requested is not eligible, a refund will not be issued.
You will be notified of the result of the mark check within 20 working days of receipt of your request. This notification will be sent to your LSE email address.
Request an administrative mark check
Between 2013 and 2017 Student Services administered a total of 1776 mark checks, resulting in only 12 changes to marks across the entire period. This means that the chance of there being an administrative error in your marks is 0.68%.