Long-Term Medical Conditions

Contact us for support to balance your studies with ongoing difficulties

Many students come to the School with a long-term medical condition, or develop one during their studies. We understand that ongoing difficulties such as pain and fatigue can make balancing your studies more difficult.  

Current students are encouraged to register with us in order to discuss your circumstances in confidence with an Adviser. Our Advisers will talk to you about how your condition affects you and your learning, and create a plan to ensure we can facilitate any adjustments and additional support which will help you get the most out of your time here.   

What support is available?

When you meet with an adviser they will talk you through the various ways in which the School can provide support and adjustments to your studies, such as: 

My Adjustments 

Any necessary support and adjustments to your teaching and learning will be recorded within a document known as My Adjustments (MAs). MAs will be shared with staff on a need-to-know basis to ensure that these can be implemented. 

You will have the option to describe in your own words how your condition may affect your studies, helping those who teach you to understand your health issues, and how best they can be both tactful and supportive throughout your time at LSE. This is entirely optional however, and details of your condition do not need to be disclosed in any detail if this is your preference.  

My Adjustments (MA) are created in collaboration with you, and will be discussed in detail with your adviser at your first appointment.  

Central Exam Adjustments 

We can recommend Central Exam Adjustments (CEAs) to ensure you are able to take your exams with reasonable adjustments in place. For example by providing rest breaks, extra time or access to food and medication.  

Appropriate Central Exam Adjustments can be discussed with your adviser, and are dependent on your individual circumstances and the medical evidence you provide.  

Disabled Students' Allowance

Home Students 

UK students are encouraged to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA). This will fund software and equipment which you may need in order to undertake your studies, as well as some forms of specialist human support if appropriate.  

If you are funded by a UK Research Council, you should speak with an adviser for further information on how to apply. All other students must apply for DSA via Student Finance England, or the appropriate home country equivalent. Our team are happy to answer any questions you may have about the process.  

International Students

International students are not eligible for DSA funding, though where appropriate, LSE will cover the cost of disability-related support and technology needed for your studies.

Studying at LSE

For practical information and tips, please see our guide to studying at LSE with a long-term medical condition (pdf). 


Any sensitive information which you provide is held by the Disability and Mental Health Service in the strictest confidence, and only shared with other LSE staff on a need-to-know basis with your prior consent. The only exception is where the withholding of information poses a significant risk of harm to yourself or others. For full details, please see our Policy, Procedures and Confidentiality page.  

 Speak with an Adviser

Disability and Mental Health Service

My adjustments_747 x 420px

Contact us


Call us: +44 (0) 20 7955 7767

Address View on Google maps

4th Floor, Pethick-Lawrence House (PEL), Clements Inn, London, WC2A 2AZ

(Please use the Fawcett House entrance and take the lift to the 4th Floor. Turn right when you exit the lift and you’ll see our department.)