Mental health

Telling us about your mental health issues can help you feel less pressure, and potential difficulties can be headed off before they occur

One in four of us experience a mental health issue each year. These can vary from relatively mild and short-lived to more severe and enduring. Talking to a professional about mental health issues can be positive and empowering, and can enable you to develop new coping strategies.

Telling us about your mental health issues can help you feel less pressure, and potential difficulties can be headed off before they occur. You can talk to us at any point during your studies, but we recommend you get in touch as early as possible

By registering with the Disability and Mental Health Service you will have the opportunity to discuss your circumstances in confidence with one of our mental health advisers. This will ensure we can facilitate any necessary support and adjustments to help you get the most out of your time at LSE.  

Who do we support?

We support students coping with, but not limited to:

  • Depression and other mood disorders 
  • Anxiety disorders including OCD, agoraphobia, and social anxiety 
  • Psychotic illnessesbipolar affective disorder and schizophrenia 
  • Eating disorders 
  • Personality disorders
  • Substance misuse issues
  • Suicidal thoughts and self-harm

Should I speak to a counsellor or mental health adviser?

If you want to look at ways you can get help to better understand and cope with personal, psychological and emotional issues, you should register with the Student Counselling Service. Counsellors offer students talking support, as well as and therapies in various forms as a way of treating these difficulties.

If you feel as though your mental health condition is impacting, or may impact on your studies, you should speak to us at the Disability and Mental Health Service. Our Mental Health Advisers offer practical support around managing your studies while coping with a mental health condition, as well as helping with support if you are having a serious crisis or need urgent help.

If your difficulties are associated with difficulties such as bereavement, relationship issues or moving from another country, we would recommend you contact the Student Counselling Service in the first instance. Do not worry about ‘getting it wrong’, as we can discuss in more detail with you who it would be most appropriate to speak to after you make contact. 

What support is available?

When you meet with an adviser they will talk you through the various ways in which the School can provide support and adjustments to your studies, such as:

My Adjustments

Any necessary support and adjustments to your teaching and learning will be recorded within a document known as My Adjustments (MAs). MAs will be shared with staff on a need-to-know basis to ensure that these can be implemented. Examples of adjustments could be explaining that you may need to leave the room suddenly, or that you may sometimes struggle with contributing to group discussions. This can help those who teach you approach situations with equity and tact, and allow them to offer some flexibility where required.

MAs are created in collaboration with you, and will be discussed in detail with your adviser at your first appointment.


Where appropriate we can refer you for mentoring support. Mentoring is not counselling, but offers students a reflective and supportive space with an impartial professional who is not a member of LSE staff. Through regular meetings with your mentor you will have the chance to talk through the practicalities of your course with someone who understands the complications that mental health issues can bring. Together you can develop strategies to help you get the most out of your time at LSE.

Mentoring is free of charge for all students, although UK students will need to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances for funding (please see section below). International students should speak to their adviser about a referral for mentoring.

Mental Health Advisers

Our advisers link in with various services to ensure that you have the right level of support away from the campus, such as specialist mental health services, GPs, and halls of residence.

Central Exam Adjustments

We can recommend Central Exam Adjustments (CEAs) to ensure you are able to take your exams with reasonable adjustments in place. For example by providing rest breaks, extra time  or access to food and medication.

Appropriate CEAs can be discussed with your adviser, and are dependent on your individual circumstances and the medical evidence you provide. 

Disabled Students' Allowance

Home Students

UK students are encouraged to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA). This will fund software and equipment which can help you to undertake your studies, as well as mentoring support where appropriate (see section above for details).

If you are funded by a UK Research Council, you should speak with an adviser for further information on how to apply. All other students must apply for DSA via Student Finance England, or the appropriate home country equivalent. Our team are happy to answer any questions you may have about the process.

International Students

International students are not eligible for DSA funding, though where appropriate, LSE will cover the cost of disability-related support and technology needed for your studies. 

Studying at LSE

For practical information and tips, please see our guide to studying at LSE with a mental health condition (pdf). 


Any sensitive information which you provide is held by the Disability and Mental Health Service in the strictest confidence, and only shared with other LSE staff on a need-to-know basis with your prior consent. The only exception is where the withholding of information poses a significant risk of harm to yourself or others. For full details, please see our Policy, Procedures and Confidentiality page. 

 Speak with an Adviser

Disability and Mental Health Service

My adjustments_747 x 420px

Contact us


Call us: +44 (0) 20 7955 7767

Address View on Google maps

4th Floor, Pethick-Lawrence House (PEL), Clements Inn, London, WC2A 2AZ

(Please use the Fawcett House entrance and take the lift to the 4th Floor. Turn right when you exit the lift and you’ll see our department.)

Service opening hours 9.00am-5.00pm, Reception opening hours 9.30am-4.30pm