If you follow a taught programme you are required to take a certain number of courses each year as prescribed by your programme regulations. For undergraduate and most taught postgraduate students, this is normally the equivalent of four full units per year, however you can check your specific programme regulations using the LSE Calendar.
Programme regulations for the new academic year will be available from September of that year. Programme regulations from previous years which are relevant to continuing students are displayed to them in the LSE for You course choice system.
Normally courses will consist of a lecture and a class or seminar group, but this varies depending on the course. Some courses offer practical sessions, group work, workshops, field work, etc.
LSE has a range of tools to help you find the courses that your programme regulations allow you to take.
Visit finding courses for more information about these tools.
Remember that, depending on your programme, it may advisable to have a few "back-up" courses in mind in case any of your preferred courses are already full.
Visit selecting courses for comprehensive guidance about to select your courses, dependent on your level of study.
Course Selection Windows 2018/19
You will be able to make changes to Lent Term half unit courses between 10am on Monday 14 January 2019 and 5pm on Friday 25 January 2019.
The Michaelmas Term course selection dates were:
- Continuing undergraduates: 10am on Monday 9 July 2018 until 5pm on Tuesday 16 October 2018
- New undergraduates (including General Course students): 10am on Monday 3 September 2018 until 5pm on Tuesday 16 October 2018
- Postgraduates: browsing from 10am on Monday 24 September; course selection from 10am on Friday 28 September 2018 until 5pm on Tuesday 16 October 2018
During the course change windows
1. Personal timetables will be updated within the following timeframes:
- Undergraduate: your timetable will be available from Tuesday 25 September 2018 if you have selected your courses. Your timetable will be updated within three working days of you making a change in LSE for You
- Postgraduate: dependent on the teaching department's procedures around course enrolment and seminar sign-up. For questions regarding your course choices, please contact the teaching department of that course directly.
2. You will automatically be given access to the relevant Moodle pages for your courses a few hours after making your selection on LSE for You.
If you have any questions about the content of the course(s) you are considering, please contact the teaching department(s).
If you have any questions about the course selection process, please contact the Student Services Centre.