If you follow a taught programme you are required to take a certain number of courses each year as prescribed by your programme regulations. For undergraduate and most taught postgraduate students, this is normally the equivalent of four full units per year, however you can check your specific programme regulations using the LSE Calendar.
Programme regulations for the new academic year will be available from September of that year. Programme regulations from previous years which are relevant to continuing students are displayed to them in the LSE for You course selection system.
Normally courses will consist of a lecture and a class or seminar group, but this varies depending on the course. Some courses offer practical sessions, group work, workshops, field work, etc.
LSE has a range of tools to help you find the courses that your programme regulations allow you to take.
Visit finding courses for more information about these tools.
Remember that, depending on your programme, it may advisable to have a few "back-up" courses in mind in case any of your preferred courses are already full.
Visit selecting courses for comprehensive guidance about to select your courses, dependent on your level of study.
Course Selection Windows 2019/20
The Michaelmas Term course selection dates are:
- Continuing undergraduates: Course selection for continuing undergraduates will open at 10 am on Monday 15 July 2019 until 5pm on Monday 14 October 2019.
- New undergraduates (including General Course students): Course selection for new undergraduates (including General Course students) will open at 10am on Monday 02 September 2019 until 5pm on Monday 14 October 2019.
- Postgraduates: Students will be able to browse (but not select) courses from 10am on Monday 23 September 2019. Course selection for postgraduate students will open at 10am on Friday 27 September 2019 until 5pm on Monday 14 October 2019.
You will be able to make changes to Lent Term half units from 10am on Monday 20 January 2020 until 5pm on Friday 31 January 2020.
During the course change windows
1. Personal timetables will be updated within the following timeframes:
- Undergraduate: The personal timetable publication date will be available in due course. Your timetable will be updated within three working days of you making a change in LSE For You.
- Postgraduate: dependent on the teaching department's procedures around course enrolment and seminar sign-up. For questions regarding your course selections, please contact the teaching department of that course directly.
2. You will automatically be given access to the relevant Moodle pages for your courses a few hours after making your selection on LSE for You.
If you have any questions about the content of the course(s) you are considering, please contact the teaching department(s).
If you have any questions about the course selection process, please contact the Student Services Centre.