Specific learning difficulties

We can help you with specific learning difficulty assessment and support

The Disability and Mental Health Service can provide advice and support to students with specific learning difficulties, such as, but not limited to, dyslexia and dyspraxia.

Current students are encouraged to register with us in order to discuss your circumstances in confidence with an adviser. This will ensure we can facilitate any necessary support and adjustments whilst you study. 

Screening and assessment service

If you have never been assessed for a specific learning difficulty, you can request a screening questionnaire from us, which acts as the first stage of the diagnostic process.

If the results of the screening give significant indicators of a specific learning difficulty, we will refer you for a full diagnostic assessment. This service is free for all current students.

Please note, this service is only available to currently enrolled students, and may not be available to students approaching the end of their course.

To request a screening questionnaire you should NOT complete an Access to Service Form. Instead please email us at disability-wellbeing@lse.ac.uk

What support is available

When you meet with an adviser they will talk you through the various ways in which the School can provide support and adjustments to your studies, such as:

My Adjustments

Any necessary support and adjustments to your teaching and learning will be recorded within a document known as My Adjustments (MAs). MAs will be shared with staff on a need-to-know basis to ensure that these can be implemented. Examples of adjustments could be the provision of teaching materials in advance, giving directed reading lists, or allowing for extended library loans.

MAs are created in collaboration with you, and will be discussed in detail with your adviser at your first appointment.

Assistive Technology

We have specialist IT rooms on campus with access to various software programmes including text-to-speech, speech-to-text, and mind-mapping tools.

Study Skills Tuition

Where appropriate we can refer you for study skills tuition. Study skills tuition is not subject specific, though it can offer students a chance to work with a tutor who has specialist knowledge of the difficulties people with an SpLD can face when studying. 

Through regular meetings you can work on general techniques around reading, researching, writing and organisation. In addition to more general strategies, you can work with your tutors on preparing upcoming essays, projects and exams.

Study skills tuition is free of charge for all students, though UK students will need to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances for funding (please see section below). International students should speak to their adviser about a referral.

Central Exam Adjustments

We can recommend Central Exam Adjustments (CEAs) to ensure you are able to take your exams with reasonable adjustments in place, such as extra time and the use of a computer. 

Appropriate CEAs can be discussed with your adviser, and are dependent on your individual circumstances and the medical evidence you provide. 

Disabled Students' Allowance

Home Students

UK students are encouraged to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA). This will fund software and equipment which you may need in order to undertake your studies, as well specialist study skills tuition.

If you are funded by a UK Research Council, you should speak with an adviser for further information on how to apply. All other students must apply for DSA via Student Finance England, or the appropriate home country equivalent. Our team are happy to answer any questions you may have about the process.

International Students

International students are not eligible for DSA funding, though where appropriate, LSE will cover the cost of disability-related support and technology needed for your studies. 

Evidence required

To qualify for adjustments in Higher Education you need to provide a full diagnostic report carried out by an educational psychologist or suitably qualified specialist teacher. The report must give a diagnosis of a specific learning difficulty, and not simply be for the purpose of assessing the need for exam adjustments, such as extra time and the use of a computer.

We would encourage all students to send us any documentation as early as possible so we can assess whether it meets the criteria for UK universities, and refer students for full assessments where appropriate. 

Studying at LSE

For practical information and tips, please see our guide to studying at LSE with a specific learning difficulty (pdf). 


Any sensitive information which you provide is held by the Disability and Mental Health Service in the strictest confidence, and only shared with other LSE staff on a need-to-know basis with your prior consent. The only exception is where the withholding of information poses a significant risk of harm to yourself or others. For full details, please see our Policy, Procedures and Confidentiality page. 

 Speak with an Adviser

Disability and Mental Health Service

My adjustments_747 x 420px

Contact us


Call us: +44 (0) 20 7955 7767

Address View on Google maps

4th Floor, Pethick-Lawrence House (PEL), Clements Inn, London, WC2A 2AZ

(Please use the Fawcett House entrance and take the lift to the 4th Floor. Turn right when you exit the lift and you’ll see our department.)