Visual impairments

An adviser can talk to you about ways we can support your learning, from inclusion plans to human support and assistive technology

If you have a visual impairment, that is, a decreased ability to see which is not correctable by glasses, the Disability and Wellbeing Service is here to make sure you have the tools and support you need to undertake your studies at LSE.  

Current students are encouraged to register with us in order to discuss your circumstances in confidence with an adviser. Our advisers can talk to you about your individual needs, and create a plan to ensure we facilitate any adjustments and additional support to help you get the most out of your time here.  

What support is available?

When you meet with an adviser they will talk you through the various ways in which the School can provide support and adjustments to your studies, such as: 

Inclusion Plans 

We can create an Inclusion Plan (IP) to ensure that staff are aware of your circumstances and can make adjustments as needed. For example by providing teaching materials in formats which are accessible to you, reserving appropriate seating in lectures, or facilitating one-to-one support at the LSE Library.  

IPs are created in collaboration with you, and will be discussed in detail with your adviser at your first appointment.  

Human Support and Assistive Technology  

Where appropriate, we can arrange for additional human support to help with your studies, such as a note-taker for lectures, or a support worker to help you get around campus.  

We also have specialist IT rooms on campus with access to screen-reading, magnification, and OCR software.  

Individual Exam Adjustments 

We can recommend Individual Exam Adjustments (IEAs) to ensure you are able to take your exams with reasonable adjustments in place. For example by providing large print exam papers, extra time, or access to screen-reading software.  

Appropriate IEAs can be discussed with your adviser, and are dependent on your individual circumstances and the medical evidence you provide.  

Disabled Students' Allowances

Home Students 

UK students are encouraged to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA). This will fund software and equipment which you may need in order to undertake your studies, as well as some forms of specialist human support. For example, an electronic notetaking service for teaching sessions, or individual language tuition.  

If you are funded by a UK Research Council, you should speak with an adviser for further information on how to apply. All other students must apply for DSA via Student Finance England, or the appropriate home country equivalent. Our team are happy to answer any questions you may have about the process.  

International Students  

International students are not eligible for DSA funding, though where appropriate, LSE will cover the cost of disability-related support and technology needed for your studies.  

Studying at LSE

For practical information and tips, please see our guide to studying at LSE with a visual impairment (word). 


Any sensitive information which you provide is held by the Disability and Wellbeing Service in the strictest confidence, and only shared with other LSE staff on a need-to-know basis with your prior consent. The only exception is where the withholding of information poses a significant risk of harm to yourself or others. For full details, please see our Policy, Procedures and Confidentiality page. 

 Speak with an adviser


LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

Christmas is guaranteed to be unlike any other, but for many the COVID-19 pandemic exacerbates issues surrounding t……

2 days ago

Reply Retweet Favorite

LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

RT @StudyLSE: Applications for our 2021/22 Graduate Programmes are open🙌! Find our list of available programmes and how to apply now👉 https…

2 days ago

Reply Retweet Favorite

Contact us


Call us: +44 (0) 20 7955 7767

Address View on Google maps

Disability and Wellbeing Service, Third floor, Fawcett House (FAW), Clement's Inn, London, WC2A 2AE