I become unwell during assessments

Falling ill during the assessment period

If you become unwell during exams and need advice contact the Student Services Advice Team

There are a number of options available if you become unwell during the assessment period. Expand the sections below for more information.

If you need further advice in relation to your specific circumstances. please contact the Student Services Advice Team by submitting an enquiry.

Fit to sit policy

LSE operates a 'fit to sit/fit to submit' policy, which means that if you submit an assessment you are declaring yourself well enough to do so.

Seeking medical help

If you are in London and require medical help, please contact your GP as soon as possible. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, arrangements for seeing patients may have changed for individual practices, please refer to them directly for further information. If you believe you may have COVID-19, please refer to the NHS 111 coronavirus advice.

If you have not yet registered with a GP, it is important that you do so as soon as possible. St Philips Medical Centre on campus will allow most students to register with them; please contact them directly to arrange this. Alternatively you can register at a GP closer to where you’re living. You can find your nearest GP via the NHS GP finder.

For immediate, life-threatening emergencies, call 999.

You can also find further information about Healthcare in the UK here.

 There are a number of support services offered to you within LSE too. All of these services are confidential and free. Staff members are well versed in dealing with a huge range of issues, and we encourage you to make use of them. You can find the full range of services here, along with all the relevant contact details. Most services are also able to facilitate support remotely while campus is closed.

If you are not able to sit your assessments

If circumstances beyond your control, such as illness, prevent you from being able to sit an exam, deferring the exam may be the best option. Please refer to the deferral webpage for information about deadlines. Requests to retrospectively defer an assessment cannot be considered. 

Please visit the deferral website for more information on how to request a deferral and who to contact for more information

If you might be able to sit your assessment with some adjustments

Please note that due to the assessment changes this academic year due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, short-term Individual Exam Adjustments (IEAs) only apply to short assessments lasting 24 hours or less. Longer assessments are designed to account for students’ requirements as per their Inclusion Plans and remove the obstacles students may encounter in the traditional on-campus invigilated exams format. Existing IEAs will be automatically applied to any short, timed assessments lasting under 24 hours.

If you are experiencing a short term or unexpected medical condition that affects your ability to sit your short, timed assessments under the usual conditions, you may apply for short term Individual Exam Adjustments (IEAs). Further details including the application form can be found here. You will need to apply via the ‘short term conditions’ route. Please note that your application can’t be considered without medical evidence.

You can also apply for short term IEAs if you feel that due to the assessment changes for this academic year, any existing IEAs do not provide sufficient additional time, for example because assessments need to be typed rather than handwritten.

You must apply as early as possible and as soon as you become aware of your short term medical condition.

Any queries about short term IEAs should be directed via the online enquiries form.

If you sit your assessment(s) but feel your performance may have been affected by illness

If you sit your assessment(s) but later feel that your performance may have been affected by illness you can submit Exceptional Circumstances (ECs).

You are advised to submit ECs if you feel that something beyond your control has impacted your academic ability in the lead up to or during the assessment period and thus prevented you from performing at your full potential.

ECs can be submitted for any or all impacted assessments and should be submitted for the current year of study within seven days of your last assessment in that particular assessment period.



LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

Although #LSEWelcome is coming to an end, your time at LSE is just beginning! We hope our Welcome events have helpe… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…


Reply Retweet Favorite

LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

Want to win a £50 Amazon voucher? Tell us what you want to know the cause of. Just post a picture with you, Felix a… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…


Reply Retweet Favorite