Frequently asked questions

A list of common enquiries received by the Financial Support Office from LSE students.

If your query is not answered here, please contact the Financial Support Office.

If your query is of a sensitive or complex nature, please come to one of our drop-in advice sessions.


I did not get my offer in time to apply for any scholarships. I have registered, but now I am having financial difficulties. Is there anything that I can apply for?

If you have Home UK fee status, you may be able to apply for assistance with living costs, via the LSE Access Fund.

For other students, it would be considered your responsibility to ensure you have secured enough money to meet tuition fees and living costs before registering. The School is only able to help in cases where you had secured sufficient funds to register but have since encountered unexpected financial difficulties.

I am experiencing financial difficulties which were not foreseen at the time that I registered. Are there any emergency or hardship funds that I would be eligible to apply for?

I am a student with Home UK Fee status and need some money for rent, food and bills. My fees are paid. What can I do?

You may be eligible for an award from the LSE Access Fund. Please see the Student Support and LSE Access Funding page.

I have been made a hardship fund award. How do I take up the award?

All awards made are offset against tuition fees in the first instance, except in the case of LSE Access Fund awards which cannot go against fees.

If after your fees have been paid, there is a balance of funds of less than £1,000, it will be paid to you in one single instalment.

If you are to receive such a payment it will be provided in the form of a cheque which may be collected from the Student Services Centre, approximately one week after the date of your award letter and after it is showing on LSE For You.

If the balance is greater than £1,000, you will receive this in equal instalments at the start of each term.

Does LSE administer loans for registered students?

LSE does not have a general loan scheme for registered students.

Loans are sometimes made to applicants for in-course financial support, particularly those in their final year at the School. Please note that you would automatically be considered for a loan at the same time as being considered for a grant.

Can I apply for a scholarship as a current student?

Unfortunately, there are no scholarships currently open to masters or undergraduate students. You can only apply for scholarships in advance of first registering at the School.

See the scholarships open to students on MRes/MPhil/PhD programmes.

I am a current MSc student applying to study for an MPhil/PhD next year. What scholarships can I apply for?

Please see scholarships for MRes/MPhil/PhD programmes.

I am an undergraduate applying to study on an MSc programme next year. What scholarships can I apply for?

I was awarded an LSE scholarship - will it be renewed?

This depends on the particular scholarship in question. Whether it is renewable is usually stated in the original award letter sent. Any renewal is subject to satisfactory academic progress.

Please contact the Financial Support Office if you have a query regarding renewing a scholarship - do not assume that your scholarship will be automatically renewed.

Once your academic progression has been confirmed we will contact award holders, normally in August to confirm the scholarship has been renewed.

Can I apply for my LSE Undergraduate Support Scheme Award to be increased now/next year?

If you are currently experiencing unexpected financial difficulties, you should apply for In-course financial support.

If your circumstances will be changing in the next session, you should contact the Financial Support Office at the end of the Summer Term, to discuss how your financial situation will be affected. 

Is any financial assistance available to help with the cost of LSE Language Centre Certificate Courses?

The Financial Support Office is unable to assist with the cost of Language Centre courses, though you may like to contact the academic department in which you are studying to see if any help is available.

Are there any specific funds to assist students with disabilities or to cover childcare costs?

The Financial Support Office has some funds for student parents, more information can be found here: Support for student parents

Please contact the Disability and Wellbeing Service for more advice on the support LSE can offer. 

The Students' Union which has limited funds available to certain eligible groups.