Applications for Exceptional Progression are considered by the Repeat Teaching Panel and administered by the Advice Team within the Student Services Centre.
If you wish to apply for Exceptional Progression you must, at the very least, demonstrate that you have studied successfully throughout the year and that your exam failure was entirely due to extenuating circumstances during the exam period.
Some of the factors that will be considered when the Panel are assessing your application are:
- Excellent performance throughout the previous academic year which is evidenced in both your LSE For You class registers and departmental recommendation.
- Good attendance and coursework submission record of at least 80% in the failed courses.
- Strong performance in past examination papers. This includes any papers that were passed in the previous academic year. The panel are aware that achieving good marks in some courses is not always a useful indicator of performance in courses that require a very different approach. This is particularly true on joint degree programmes where some students find the quantitative courses very challenging.
- Have no more than two failed units to carry forward to the next year. The Panel never approves progression in cases where more than two units remain outstanding.
- Evidence that you will be able to cope with an additional examination load in the next academic year.
- A willingness to study over the summer period to ensure you are up to speed with failed courses.
- Support from your department.
These are the minimum that you would be expected to be able to demonstrate in your application so if you fail to meet these requirements you are advised not to submit a progression application.
You should also note that meeting the criteria is not a guarantee that the Panel will decide that progression is in your best academic interests.
Please also be aware that requests for Exceptional Progression will not be considered if you have two or more irredeemable fails at the point of application.
If you wish to proceed with an application you can download the form here. Please ensure you complete all sections as applicable.