Repeat Teaching

for students who do not progress

Repeat teaching may be granted if you fail to progress or repeat your degree but have exam attempts remaining.


What is repeat teaching?

If you fail to progress or complete your degree, but have exam attempts remaining, you may wish to take the teaching for a second or third time. The School acknowledges that in some exceptional circumstances there may be case to be made for having teaching a second time. This is what is known as Repeat Teaching. 

Am I eligible for Repeat Teaching?

Applications for Repeat Teaching will only be considered if you can provide evidence of extenuating circumstances having impacted you during the academic year and thus preventing you from benefitting or engaging with the teaching the first time around. If you experienced circumstances which affected your studies only on a short term basis (for example illness during the exam period) your application will not be considered. Similarly repeat teaching is not granted simply if you fail or defer assessment. 

You may apply if you have had exceptional circumstances and:

  • You have failed to progress into the next year of study (first and second year undergraduate students).
  • You have failed to be awarded your degree (third year undergraduate and 9 month MSc students).
  • You have interrupted your studies in the Lent term and need to repeat Michaelmas term.
  • You have had examination bars put in place.

How can I apply for Repeat Teaching?

  • Read the email correspondence from the SSC that outlines your options following non-progression.
  • Read all of the information available on these webpages.
  • Carefully consider if you have a case for repeat teaching.
  • Determine that you are fit to engage with an additional year of teaching – be this consideration of your finances (as well as spending another year in education, Repeating Teaching comes with a fee), wellbeing or other.
  • Complete sections 1- 5 on the Repeat Teaching form. Ensure all fields are filled correctly. It is particularly important that section 5 is answered in full.
  • Attach corroborating evidence. Evidence must be in English. A reference for good supporting documents can be found below.
  • Submit all documents to your Departmental Tutor.

When should I submit my Repeat Teaching request?

You are advised to submit your application for Repeat Teaching as early as possible, although the Repeat Teaching Panel does not convene until the Summer Vacation so no decisions will be made during term time.

The deadlines to apply for Repeat Teaching for 2019/20 are:

  • Monday 29 July 2019 – Deadline for Repeat Teaching applications for all students (including 1st year undergraduate students with access to the In-Year Resit and Deferred Assessment Period (IRDAP)).
  • Wednesday 25 September 2019 - Deadline for Repeat Teaching applications for 1st year undergraduate students with access to the In-Year Resit and Deferred Assessment Period (IRDAP) only.

First year undergraduate students with access to the In-Year Resit and Deferred Assessment Period (IRDAP) can choose to apply for Repeat Teaching before or after the IRDAP period.  Being granted Repeat Teaching does not prevent you from sitting your exams within the IRDAP.  If you pass all of your units then Repeat Teaching will be revoked and you will progress to your next year of study.  If you fail any exam then your Repeat Teaching will continue as long as you have attempts remaining at your outstanding assessments.

Late applications will not be considered.

Who considers my Repeat Teaching application?

Repeat Teaching applications are first considered by your Departmental Tutor and then submitted to the Repeat Teaching Panel (RTP) for a final decision. The RTP usually consists of two academic members of staff and is administered by Student Services. The Panel ensures equity across the School for all applications. 


Approved Applications

You and your Departmental Tutor will be notified by email when your Repeat Teaching application is approved.

Please be aware that when your application is approved it does not definitively mean you will be able to take repeat teaching. You will need to meet all applicable fee and visa requirements.

If you have been approved for Repeat Teaching and are an international student you must contact the International Student Visa Advice Team (ISVAT) in the Student Services Centre to access detailed advice on visa applications, caps and extensions. An approval of Repeat Teaching is not an absolute guarantee that you can take the teaching; you must satisfy visa compliance. 

All students will be expected to pay fees for the repeat year. These are confirmed to you in your outcome email and will appear on your account in due course.

Undergraduate Fees:

Repeat Teaching fees are currently £562.50 per half unit equivalent for a full year of teaching. A full year of Repeat Teaching in all units currently costs £4500. Full details can be found in the Table of Fees. Please refer to the table for the academic year in which you would take Repeat Teaching. Repeat Teaching fees are paid in the same way as normal programme fees and any questions about how to pay should be directed to the Fees Office.

Postgraduate Fees:

Repeat Teaching fees are currently the usual yearly fee for the programme which you are studying. Full details can be found in the Table of Fees. Repeat Teaching fees are paid in the same way as normal programme fees and any questions about how to pay should be directed to the Fees Office.

If you do meet all relevant requirements you will then need to register for the new academic year.

If you are returning from interruption, have been unregistered during the previous year or hold a visa that does not cover you for the entirety of the new academic year, you must register in person. You should register at the time confirmed for new students on your programme. This information can be found here

Continuing students who do not fall into any of the above categories can register via LSE for You from the beginning of September. More information can be found here

Denied Applications

If your application is rejected and you wish to appeal, you can submit and enquiry  to ask why your application has been rejected. Further to this you may submit a statement to the RTP explaining the reasons for appeal, and submitting more or new evidence as appropriate. You may also be required to obtain an updated recommendation from your Departmental Tutor.

You must submit this recommendation along with a letter of appeal this enquiry form. The deadline for submitting your appeal will be included in your initial outcome email.

You may be asked to appear at a Panel meeting in person to discuss your appeal. 

If you do not make a successful Repeat Teaching application or subsequent appeal you will automatically be re-entered to take your outstanding papers as an unregistered student during the applicable exam session the following academic year. Further information about re-entry can be found here

Standards of evidence

You must attach an original version of official, corroborating evidence of your circumstances. Any evidence that you present must normally* meet the following standards and should be: 

  • Written by appropriately qualified professionals (e.g. health professionals, police authority) who are independent from you. 
  • On headed paper and signed and dated by the author. Evidence presented by email may be acceptable in some circumstances and only if the email has been sent by the author from the official domain name of the author's organisation. Where evidence is submitted in email form, the School reserves the right to request further information from you.
  • Confirming specifically that the circumstances were witnessed on the relevant date as opposed to being reported retrospectively.
  • In English. If your evidence is not in English then you must submit an original source-language copy of the evidence together with an officially translated copy. The translation must include a statement signed by a Notary Public, attesting that the translated text is an accurate and complete translation of the source-language text.

The LSE Language Centre may be able to help with official translations of some languages. It is your responsibility to attach all relevant documentation and to obtain an official translation at the time of submission.

  • Original. Copies will only be accepted in exceptional circumstances.
  • Unaltered. Documentation that has been amended for any reason will be deemed inadmissible by the School. 

It is your responsibility to attach all relevant documentation and to obtain an official translation at the time of submission. The School will not obtain any documentation on your behalf. For the avoidance of doubt, this includes if you have submitted evidence to the School through another procedure. If there is evidence that you have fraudulently presented documentation to the School, the matter will be referred to the Disciplinary Regulations for Students.

Please refer to the Standards of Evidence Table for a list of the types of evidence the School would expect for various types of exceptional circumstances. Please note this list is not exhaustive.




Required evidence


 Acute illness


A medical certificate/letter dated from the time of your illness. It must confirm the nature of your symptoms, the likely impact these symptoms may have on your performance, the diagnosis (if possible) and the time during which this has affected you.





As 1 above but also confirming any time period during which you were an inpatient




External Factors: E.g. Family illness; bereavement; victim of crime


Evidence of external factors where possible. In the case of bereavement you must normally provide a death certificate. You must also normally provide evidence to confirm the impact this has had on your wellbeing and performance.




Unexpected financial problems


The School expects students to have registered with sufficient funds for the duration of their programme of study. Therefore, students need to clearly demonstrate something unexpected has subsequently occurred to disrupt these arrangements or to cause additional expenditure. The unexpected circumstances must have occurred after you commenced your studies. The School cannot consider students who have knowingly registered without sufficient funds for their fees and living costs. The types of evidence you need to provide are as follows: Medical certificates (as 1 above), if the financial difficulties relate to illness; A death certificate; Original scholarship/sponsorship letter and evidence of non-continuation; An employer's redundancy letter, if you or a member of your family has been made redundant; Suitably redacted bank statement from the time of affected assessment.





Only where there is a specific illness or injury during pregnancy. Medical evidence must be provided as 1 above.


The following evidence is normally not acceptable:

  • Technical medical reports that do not contain the required information set out at point one in the table above.
  • Prescriptions.
  • X-rays.
  • Photographs.
  • Statements from friends or family.

*If you are unable to meet the standard as set out above then you must submit any corroborating evidence that you do have. 


How do I choose my courses?

You do not choose your courses. They are input for you in reference to those listed and approved on your Repeat Teaching application. Course selections will begin to be entered on your student record at the end of August, and only after your Repeat Teaching has been officially approved.

If you wish to make any changes to the courses you have had approved you must email your departmental tutor to gain permission for the change. Course changes will only be made in exceptional cases and only whilst the course selection window is open. Once course selection closes, no changes will be made.

For any courses in which you do not have repeat teaching you will be automatically re-entered for the outstanding examinations. Full details regarding this process, including how to pay to retake those exams, are available on the re-entry webpage.

Can I still access Student Finance? (UK and EU)

If you are paying Home fees and have previously received funding from Student Finance or want to apply for funding for your repeat year, you should contact Student Finance directly. 

In order to be eligible for continued funding from Student Finance you will need to be registered for teaching. If you are going to be registered for fewer than four units, Student Finance still consider you to be engaged on a full time programme; so do not complete a part-time Student Finance application.

If you have already applied for funding through Student Finance before you realised that you had not progressed into your next year of study, they will need to be notified of the change. Registry will notify Student Finance of your circumstances and confirm that you need access to funding as a student registered for repeat teaching. They will also confirm the change of fee, as applicable.

If you have any questions you should speak to Student Finance directly.

An approval of Repeat Teaching is not a guarantee of funding. You must satisfy the usual criteria. 

What happens to my LSE scholarship?

If you have an LSE scholarship and are not progressing to the next year of your programme please contact the Financial Support Office as soon as possible.

Is there any other funding available for Repeat Teaching?

The Students' Union considers requests for financial assistance. They can potentially provide funding for students experiencing financial difficulties for a range of different reasons. One fund is specifically for students undertaking Repeat Teaching. Contact for details.


Meet the team



LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

Wishing everyone a restful Easter break! the SSC will be back on Thursday 16 April to assist you with any queries o……


Reply Retweet Favorite

LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

RT @EdenLSE: We have posted new guidance on good practices for Academic Mentoring at a distance, in our Maintaining Contact and Engagement…

3 days ago

Reply Retweet Favorite