Intercollegiate Enrolment

for students from other colleges

Students from other University of London colleges who wish to take a course at LSE as part of their degree can register as intercollegiate students

 intercollegiate students taking courses at LSE

Who can enrol?

Students from other colleges of the University of London who wish to take a course at LSE as part of their degree can register at LSE as intercollegiate students. In order to do so, you must meet the following conditions:

  • You should be currently registered on a University of London degree programme
  • The course you wish to take at LSE should form part of your degree programme. Visiting students (for example students on their junior year abroad) are not eligible for intercollegiate registration
  • You should be accepted onto your chosen LSE course of study by the academic responsible for it. The academic department responsible for your degree programme at your home institution will also need to approve of you taking the LSE course
  • The appropriate authority at your home college (normally the Registry) must give you permission to attend a course at LSE and agree to pay LSE's fee.

How to register

Students who meet the above conditions should complete the Admission as an Intercollegiate Student form. Please read the notes on the form carefully and complete all the relevant sections. Some sections will need to be completed by your home college and others by the relevant LSE academic.

Once completed, the form should be submitted to the Student Services Centre, with a passport-sized photograph, through this form.

If you submit your photo separately, please include the details of your full name and home institution and using a subject line of ‘Intercollegiate Registration Photo’.

Please do not send this photo until you have received all of the necessary approvals required by the registration form. The electronic photo should be a colour image in the JPEG (.jpg) format, provide a true likeness, include your full face and shoulders, be no larger than 16kb and have approximate dimensions of 300 pixels wide by 400 pixels high.

You will also need to complete a form from your home institution which will likely need to be signed and stamped.


For courses beginning in Autumn Term, you should aim to have your application with us by 08 September 2023.

There are earlier deadlines for students wishing to take law courses at LSE.


To become a fully enrolled student, all intercollegiate students will be required to undertake a two-stage registration process: Online pre-enrolment and Campus Enrolment. 

Please see our enrolment pages for further details at this link

You will receive an email notification when it is time to pre-enrol online for your course at LSE once your application has been processed.

As part of the online pre-enrolment process, you will activate your LSE network and email accounts. Once you have completed online pre-enrolment and activated your accounts, you will have access to online resources and teaching.

Campus enrolment takes place in-person and is where we will check your official documents, including passport and visa (if applicable). Documents must be originals. For details of what you need to bring with you please visit What to Bring to Campus Enrolment.

Once you have completed campus enrolment, you will be issued with your LSE Card, giving you access to campus and on-campus teaching and services.

Campus enrolment for intercollegiate students will take place during the Main Campus Enrolment Period on Friday 15 September and Monday 18 to Friday 22 September 2023 in the Marshall Building, 44 Lincoln's Inn Fields, London, WC2A 3LY (see map for campus location). Please see our Enrolment webpages for information.

If you are arriving on campus From Monday 25 September 2023, Campus Enrolment will take place in the Student Services Centre, Ground Floor, Old Building, Houghton Street, London, WC2A 2AE (see map for campus location). You will need to book a campus enrolment slot via the Student Hub. Please see Enrolment and Arriving after Welcome for more information.

All intercollegiate students must pre-enrol and campus enrol by Friday 20 October 2023 for courses beginning 25 September 2023.


What LSE courses are available to Intercollegiate students?

This will be determined on a case-by-case basis and will depend on a number of factors, including but not limited to, the number of students currently enrolled on the course and the previous study that the prospective intercollegiate student has undertaken.

Please see the Academic Departments web page for details on the subject areas taught at LSE. The individual course guides for undergraduate and postgraduate students will provide detailed information on every course offered at the School, including the method(s) by which they are assessed.

Intercollegiate students who wish to take an undergraduate course in the LSE Department of Economics should first consult Undergraduate Programmes.

How can I find out when the courses in which I am interested will be taught?

The timetables website provides the times and locations of every course taught in the current academic year.

How do I obtain the approval of the LSE academic teaching the course I would like to study?

You need to make contact with the academic directly and arrange a time for them to sign the form. 

Many LSE buildings have restricted access, so it is advisable to make your initial enquiries regarding intercollegiate study by email.

The department teaching the course in which you are interested will have contact details on their website to which you can address your initial query.

Will I have to pay a tuition fee to the LSE for taking an intercollegiate course?

No, your home institution will agree to pay LSE's tuition fee on your behalf.

When and where can I collect my LSE ID card?

LSE ID card collection will be at campus enrolment in the Marshall Building during enrolment week on Friday 15 September and Monday 18 to Friday 23 September 2023. From 25 September campus enrolment and card collection will be from the Student Services Centre.


Why do I need an LSE ID card?

Your LSE ID card will provide access to School buildings, including the Library, and act as your library card. You will not be able to access LSE buildings until your LSE ID card has been issued.

How can I access my timetable?

Intercollegiate student timetables will be available via LSE for You

What happens if I fail an assessment?

It might be possible to fail an assessment but still pass the course overall depending on your other marks in those other assessments. Where you fail an overall course your Home Institution will first need to determine if you are eligible for a resit according to their programme rules and regulations. If they determine to allow you a resit your Home Institution will notify the LSE’s Student Services Centre who will re-enter you for that course. You will not resit/resubmit any assessment you have passed but your mark from a pass assessment will be banked and included to calculate your resit mark.

The undergraduate resit/resubmission period will take place in August 2024. Postgraduate students will resit/resubmit during the course of the next academic year.