Understanding Results

Information about the regulations, classification and progression


Final Classification


BA/BSc students are awarded First Class Honours (1st), an Upper Second Class Honours (2A), a Lower Second Class Honours (2B), a Third Class Honours (3rd) or a Pass degree depending on their individual course results. 

The classification is based on nine 'classification marks' comprising of the eight marks achieved in all second and third year papers and the ninth mark being your 'year one average' mark.  You will also have an aggregate mark which is the sum of all nine 'classification marks'. 

Your 'year one average' is calculated by adding together and averaging the best three full unit marks achieved in your first year of study.  The resulting average will be rounded to the nearest whole mark. If you have taken any half unit courses, then the results in these courses are added together and averaged first to give you four full units, from which your best three marks are then averaged.

The full classification scheme is available in the Calendar.


The LLB classification is based on the eight marks achieved in all second and third year papers. You will also have an aggregate mark which is the sum of all eight 'classification marks'. The full classification scheme is available in the Calendar.


Diploma students normally take courses to the equivalent of four full units as part of their degree.  The marks in all four units are used in the calculation of your classification.  

The full classification scheme is available in the Calendar.

Taught Masters

Masters students are awarded a Pass with Distinction,  Pass with Merit, or a Pass degree depending on their individual course results.  Normally Masters students take courses to the equivalent of four full units as part of their degree and the marks in all four units are used in the calculation of your classification. 

Details of the various classification schemes are available in the Calendar.

In addition to the School's MSc classification rules, individual Sub-Boards of Examiners can establish 'local rules' for students whose results profiles fall into the discretionary classification profiles at 5.3.2 and 5.3.4 of the Scheme.  A list of all of the local rules is available in the School Calendar

Eligibility for Award (treatment of failed papers at the point of classification)


Undergraduates are eligible for the award of a degree if they have no more than three unredeemed fails across all 12 papers.  

Penalty rules apply if you have failed more than one unit.  Please see the Calendar for further information.

Taught Masters

Taught Master students are eligible for the award of a degree if they have failed (but not Bad Failed) a course of 0.5 unit value.

If you have failed (but not Bad Failed) in a course(s) to the value of 1.0 unit, you will be required to resit unless the fail can be compensated either by a mark of at least 60% in: a) one full unit course; or b) each of two half unit courses; or by a compensation aggregate mark of 165 in the non-failed courses.

If compensated by either of the above options, then a fail will automatically result in a drop in the overall award classification given to you (e.g. if you would otherwise have been eligible for a Merit, then your overall classification would drop to a Pass degree.)

Some degree programmes have courses which are deemed to be critical to assessment. A fail in these courses cannot be compensated and no award will be made until they have been passed. To find out if your degree programme has courses that are critical to assessment, please see your department's local rules.

Re-taking Courses

Under the School regulations, you not allowed to be re-examined in any course which you have already passed. You are also not allowed to re-sit failed courses if you have been awarded your degree,

The only exemption to this regulation is for LLB students who shall normally resit all papers taken in that year if they fail two or more units, or receive a Bad Fail mark in one or more papers.

For more information visit re-entry.

Progression for undergraduate students

For first & second year BA/BSc students only: 

If students have failed one full unit or less, then they will automatically progress into the next year of study. The failed paper will need to be re-taken the following summer, alongside the next year's examinations. This is providing all attempts at the exam have not been exhausted. Please see the Calendar for information regarding how many attempts students have to pass exams.

If you have failed more than one full unit, then you cannot normally progress into your next year of study.  

Students will be contacted by the Advice, Communications and Operations team shortly after results have been published with personalised information about progression and your options. Please wait for this email before contacting us as it is likely to answer many of your questions. 

The General Course

If you are a General Course student no numerical marks will published online, only exam and class grades.

Your home university will determine the subsequent accreditation of the academic work completed at LSE. 

You will receive an email about one week after results have been published showing your numerical marks. This is for your information only and does not constitute a transcript. 

Students with queries should contact the study abroad advisor at their home university.

Academic Support

If you would like to discuss your results, you should talk to your Academic Adviser or Supervisor who may be able to offer you some guidance on how you performed in your examinations or assessed work.  

There is a range of other support around LSE that you may also want to contact for support with your results.


LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

We'll be open again as normal from 11am this morning. We've been closed for a few days during the graduation ceremo… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…

6 days ago

Reply Retweet Favorite

LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

And that's a wrap! The biggest of congratulations to everyone who graduated today as part of #LSEclassof2018. We ho… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…

2 weeks ago

Reply Retweet Favorite

Contact us


Telephone +44 (0) 20 7955 4994


Email ssc.results@lse.ac.uk

Address View on Google maps

Student Services Centre, (Ground Floor) Old Building, Houghton Street, London, WC2A 2AE