Programme Transfer

changing degree programme

You may request to change your programme of study at any time during your studies, but changes of programme are made at the School's discretion


In certain circumstances it is possible for you to transfer to a different degree programme, but only with the permission of both your old and new programme leaders. 

There are different deadlines, conditions and information for undergraduate and taught graduate programmes, for more information please expand the relevant selection tomorrow.

Undergraduate programmes

You may request to change your programme of study at any time during your studies, but changes of programme are made at the School's discretion.

Permission will depend on a number of factors, which include:

  • the number of students already registered for a particular degree
  • the qualifications you held before you registered at the School
  • the admissions quota for each degree
  • any deadlines of caps agreed locally 
  • whether the courses that you are taking (or have already taken) fit into the regulations of the degree to which you wish to transfer
  • If you meet the new departments Programme Transfer Conditions.

LSE will not usually approve a transfer if it means that you will not progress from one year to another in the expected way.

Students who have already completed one or two years of a degree programme will need to meet the relevant department's transfer conditions.  

At undergraduate level, programme transfers are considered and approved by Departmental Tutors. In addition the Chair of the Undergraduate Studies Sub-Committee must also approve your request. 

For transfers to happen at the start of an academic year, the completed and signed programme transfer form must be submitted to the Student Services Centre before the Michaelmas term course selection deadline.

Taught graduate programmes

You can normally request to change your programme of study only during the Michaelmas term course selection period. Changes outside of this period will only be permitted in very exceptional circumstances.

At graduate level, transfers are considered and approved by Programme Directors.

Process overview

1. Contact the academic responsible for the programme you wish to transfer to establish if they would be willing to consider your request to transfer.

2. If the academic is willing to consider your application complete the Programme Transfer form, providing a detailed explanation of why you wish to change programme.

3. Obtain the necessary approvals from the staff responsible for your current and new programmes.

4.  Submit the completed form to the Student Services Centre

5. If you are an undergraduate, your application will be passed to the Undergraduate Studies Subcommittee (USSC) for consideration. This may take up to five working days. 

6. If everything is in order, the Visa Compliance and Change of Circumstances Team will seek School level approval for your request.

7. If School level approval is granted  Visa Compliance and Change of Circumstances Team will process your request. You will be transferred at the most appropriate point in the academic cycle. We aim to process requests in five working days but it will take longer at the beginning of the academic year.

7. You will receive an email notification that your request to transfer has been approved.  

Until your request has been processed, you will remain registered on your current programme and will be expected to comply with all its requirements, including attendance at all classes and attempting all assessments.

8. Once a transfer is approved, for details about changing courses, please visit the Course Selection pages.

Immigration Permission

If you currently hold a Tier 4 visa, permission to transfer into to a new programme will also be dependent on meeting the UK Government's immigration laws. It may also have an impact on the length or conditions of your visa, your ability to extend your visa in the UK and the time you have remaining for further study under the time limitations of your Tier 4 leave.  If you are considering a transfer to a new programme, you must seek immigration advice to see if you are affected.



Visa, Compliance and change of circumstance



LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

You can still apply to volunteer as a mentor for the Off Campus Support Scheme next year! A previous mentor said "I……


Reply Retweet Favorite

LSE Student Services LSE_SSC

Continuing undergraduates can apply to volunteer as a mentor for the Off Campus Support Scheme now. A previous ment……

6 days ago

Reply Retweet Favorite

Contact us


Telephone +44 (0) 20 7955 6167



Address View on Google maps

Student Services Centre, (Ground Floor) Old Building, Houghton Street, London, WC2A 2AE