How to guides

Useful information from the LSE website

This page provides you with links to other key areas of the LSE website that will be useful in your first few weeks


 16 9 ratio-Orientation_0049

Register as a student

Find out when you'll need to complete your online registration and attend your campus enrolment session at

Prove you are a student

Before you register

You cannot prove that you are a student before you register but you can show that you are due to register with LSE. There are a number of ways to do this

  • Use your LSE or UCAS offer letter. This will have been sent to you by the relevant admissions team.
  • You will be emailed a PDF Registration Pass at the end of online registration. This Pass will allow you to access LSE buildings before you get your LSE card at your campus enrolment session.

After you campus enrol

  • You will be given an LSE Card at your campus enrolment session which is a quick way to show that you are a student.
  • You can request a Certificate of Registration online. These are ideal for things like bank accounts, Council Tax and visa applications. 
  • You can buy a Totum Card. This is ideal for requesting discounts in shops, gyms etc.

Get Visa Advice

The International Student Visa Advice Team (ISVAT) are the only team at LSE that can provide Visa Advice

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) offer lots of general advice. 

Move into your Hall of Residence

LSE Residential Life have produced a series of videos to help you prepare for moving into Halls.

You can view the videos on their YouTube Channel.

You can find further support and resources for making the most of your stay in halls at information for students in halls.

Open a bank account

Read the Welcome Guide for information on how to open a UK bank account, or visit the 'Setting up a bank account' webpage for further information. 

Get advice about scholarships and financial support

Visit the Financial Support Office webpages for more information about the options available to you. 

Apply for discounted travel

Students can get discounted travel if they have a Student Oyster photocard and buy season tickets. There is no discount available on pay as you go travel.

For more information and advice on how to work out the best deal for your travel visit our 'I'd like to order an 18+ Student Oyster Photocard' webpage. 

Deal with Council Tax

Council Tax is a system of local taxation collected on domestic properties in the UK. Full time students are typically entitled to some form of exemption, but this depends on your individual circumstances and the circumstances of those that you are living with. 

For more information visit our Council Tax page. If you need further advice contact the LSE Students Union.

Set up your IT account

To activate your LSE IT account, please visit: You will also be prompted to activate your IT account at the end of online registration.

LSE's Data and Technology Services have produced a comprehensive set of pages for new students. 

Visit Key DTS Information for New Students.

Stay safe at LSE

Generally speaking London is a very safe city and LSE is one of the few institutions to maintain a largely open campus. 

However, it is always sensible to take precautions. LSE Security have produced a great guide to staying safe on campus and in London more generally.

The British Council's Education UK website offers international students useful safety information and tips on how to make sure that your time in the UK is safe and enjoyable.

In an emergency you can contact LSE Security on 020 7955 6555 or on 666 using an internal phone.

Find out about Departmental Welcome Events

Visit the Welcome website for links to your Departmental Welcome Events. 

Get admissions information for offer holders

You can find details about your offer, including any outstanding conditions or official documents that are required, in your offer letter.

There's also information online at:

Coronavirus: community advice and guidance

Visit LSE's coronavirus (COVID-19) information pages to find the answers to frequently asked questions for students, and links to resources and support.